SOLVED

Editable documents

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I'm a teacher and have set up my classes.  When I upload a document to the library, it is read only, and the pupils view it within Teams. However, when they click on a hyperlink, it opens up the file in the browser and is editable (even though the file is saved in the Class Materials folder with the correct permissions).  Is there a way to a)have all office files/pdfs open in Teams viewer, and/or b)ensure that office files are not editable?

Many thanks

4 Replies
Hi!
Where do these Hyperlinks come from? These might be sharing links with edit permissions. In that case these should be replaced with links pointing to the document in Teams and not sharing links

@adam deltinger 

Thanks for reply.  The Office files are all within the same folder and members only have view permissions.  When the document is viewed within Teams, it is view only.  But if the same file is accessed via link, it opens in the browser and is editable.  Eg. I plan a lesson in Word (which is opened in Teams viewer), pupils follow instructions and click link to pptx (which opens in browser) and is now editable. 

All the permissions are correct in Sharepoint.

best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
Try to copy the PowerPoint link again and test it out

@Bossdrum

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I believe Adam is onto something here. Which link are you copying into the Word document?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
Try to copy the PowerPoint link again and test it out

View solution in original post