SOLVED

Duplicate files created with computer name appended

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I've had an interesting issue come in from user land and was wondering if anyone has seen it before.

Users have a xlsm file they are editing within Teams, for some reason it's saving with the computers name after the original, so now they have 3 versions of the file;

• file original name.xlsm
  • file original name-computername.xlsm
  • file original name-anotherPC.xlsm

I've found references to this happening with OneDrive sync issues, but not on Teams.

Any ideas?

- Rob

15 Replies
Files stored within Teams are generally stored in SharePoint or in OneDrive. So it could still be a OneDrive ‘sync issue’ under the hood. Can you check if the file that’s being edited resides in the user’s Teams Chat Files folder on their OneDrive?
When I read the similarities with the OneDrive issue, that was the first thing i checked - they are definitely in a Team, not a OneDrive (I checked the associated site)
Okay. So we can rule that out. Leaves the only other thing I can think of, namely has the underlying SharePoint folder been synced with OneDrive. So did you also look for the file if it exists anywhere else in the user’s OneDrive? Can’t really think of anything else anymore :(
It's what happens when OneDrive is unable to resolve differences in files.
One staff member is apparently using OneDrive to sync the team library, and I'm guessing that at least 1 other is too ... it only took asking them a few times to get the right answer
Hi
I am facing this same problem on our iMacs, we are 3 Designers working on 3 different computers Synchronising the files via Sharepoint and this problem is making me crazy... still there is no solution?

@marizmendi 

I believe that this issue may be slightly different. If the applications doesn't understand OneDrive synchronization requirements, then its going to happen.

The Office apps, understand that multiple people can be editing a file at the same time. They know how to merge the data together into a single document.

Other applications, like Notepad don't know how to do this. Open in three computers, make different changes and you get three files or less with questionable results.

@Ed Woodrick 

Hi Ed

We deal with adobe illustrator and photoshop documents only, and everything was going fine for years, but suddenly with no apparent reason, this problem start occurring. Even if we are 3 designers, we NEVER EVER do modifications to a same file at the same time, so that is why this issue is weird for us us.

Screenshot at Aug 08 15-30-19.png

Do you confirm that each file has been synced when closing and dates confirmed before opening on another system?
Sure, I do my job, save and close, the file go to the Sharepoint, and the software automaticlly sync on the others computers, no one opens the file at the same time or do anything else.
Then when are the dups created?
We dont know when and how, thats the problem...
More than likely it is when you are NOT following the steps. It's easy to get too comfortable with the sync and start to not think about the requirements of it.
Ok, so what are requirements yo are talking about?
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)