SOLVED

Does Microsoft Teams use Global Address List (organization) contacts?

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I have a bunch of contacts in the Global Address List with all their contact details, like email, telephone numbers, mobile numbers, etc. 

I have a calling plan. So I'm able to call anyone with a phone number.

But I can't find an option in Microsoft Teams to view my organizations contacts (the Global Address List). I can see my own personal contacts (from Outlook), but that is not what I'm looking for.

Is this possible yet and is there something with my tenant (or teams settings / policies) or is this not possible in Microsoft Teams. My question is.... Why not?

23 Replies
I didn't notice any changes :(

Contacts is still a mess. For example. In Teams Desktop I see all my contacts from Outlook, but when I get a new caller and choose "Add contact" from the context menu in Teams it is saved... just don't know where, I never see it in my contacts in Outlook.

Same for Teams on mobile.... does it have all contacts, or just the contacts in my local phone list (synchronized from Outlook Mobile)?

@Michiel van den Broek 

We're in the same boat.

Something simple that syncs GAL <-> Teams <-> Mobile (at least if they're corporate devices). 

Is there a powershell script we can run silently for everyone once a week that would "add contact" for every GAL into Teams (and vice-versa)? 

Adding GAL contacts to a users contact list is not difficult. New contacts can be created with powershell. The hard part is when a contact already exists in the users contact list and we need to decide which info we keep and which info we update from the GAL.
To my mind there is still no global address book for Microsoft Teams yet, but using https://info.sync.blue/app/microsoft-teams/en/ you can simply sync your contacts to the personal phone book of any Teams user without manual data entry. Sync can be scheduled and is done automatically. There is even a free trial available at https://app.sync.blue/auth/signup/.

Best regards
Oliver