SOLVED

Do you know how Teams is working?

Bronze Contributor

Hi,

I tried to troubleshoot an old issue as an evidence for Microsoft. So I download old version Teams client, and now my "about" says:

"You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.4155 (64-bit). It was last updated on 8/31/20."

Also Teams.exe shows the same:

PS C:\Users\UserID> (Get-Item .\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\Teams.exe).versioninfo | fl OriginalFilename, FileDescription, CompanyName, FileVersion

OriginalFilename : Teams.exe
FileDescription  : Microsoft Teams
CompanyName      : Microsoft Corporation
FileVersion      : 1.3.00.4155

But unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the error.

But then I went to settings and I found the following lines:

New configurations are available.png

For me, these lines become available in versions 1.3.00.19173 and higher.

I then also tested the "New Meeting experience" and I really had that feature as well.

So the question for which at the moment I do not know the answer is: what version of Teams I'm running?

Do you know how this is possible? How I could have old version, but having still the latest features? Could it be so, that Teams.exe is only a launcher and we actually running the code from servers. And in that way, we really are not able to test old version? 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Updates are rolled out server side, but sometimes there are requirements that you have a decent updated client. I've seen sometimes when MS written about updates that they state that you should have version x or later, but I've seen the new features in older versions anyway.

So updates are rolled out server side for the desktop client, but sometimes you might have to update to a never client if your client is really old.

That is also why you might not see a new feature in your client but your friend working at another company have that new feature and both of you are running the same client. Then your friends tenant is using servers with updated code but your tenant is not updated yet.

@Linus Cansby

Okay, good to hear that others has seen new features on the old versions as well. Most likely the codes are already available on earlier versions, but like you said, waiting that MS turn the features ON on tenant level.

And yes, because of the server site changes/upgrades it was already a bit challenging to do tests with older clients. But if the clients are behaving also so no-predictable ways, then there are not so much to do to find in which versions certain issue is fixed.

Only what we could hope, is the product group soon gets solved the missing release notes documentation.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Updates are rolled out server side, but sometimes there are requirements that you have a decent updated client. I've seen sometimes when MS written about updates that they state that you should have version x or later, but I've seen the new features in older versions anyway.

So updates are rolled out server side for the desktop client, but sometimes you might have to update to a never client if your client is really old.

That is also why you might not see a new feature in your client but your friend working at another company have that new feature and both of you are running the same client. Then your friends tenant is using servers with updated code but your tenant is not updated yet.

View solution in original post