SOLVED

Display online status next to name in Outlook Greyed Out

Brass Contributor

60 Replies

Changed 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers

Changed DefaultIMAPP Value to Teams

Fixed :) Bit of a cheap and nasty fix but it will do until hopefully next update that will address this issues

ok great, but you already had the IMProviders regkey set to Teams showing in your original post?

[so do we, and it doesn't seem to make any difference?]

@DannyVLRS 

Install Skype for Business fixes the issue but then the registry value in to Lync and it is not syncing.

Changing the value back to Teams syncs it back up hence@Don Pickard 

@DannyVLRS wrote:

Install Skype for Business fixes the issue but then the registry value in to Lync and it is not syncing.

Changing the value back to Teams syncs it back up hence@Don Pickard 

ok thanks, I'll check on that for my scenario too :)  @DannyVLRS 

It's been a couple of months now for me without IM ability or presence information (in Outlook). It's extremely frustrating as you soon realise how much you use it when it's gone!
I'm not in a position to be able to bring back SfB and employ the fix you mention. Has someone somewhere in Microsoft come up with a registry fix or a patch or something? PLEASE!!!
Really hoping someone can help.
Yours in desperation...

@cats_admin 

the MS premier support case I raised, is still open, the support engineer was able to reproduce the problem and has opened a bug report with the product team. we are also patiently awaiting a resolution, but I am preparing software packages which will reinstall SfB.

Hi, yes thanks, have seen and tried that one.
I've had confirmation from MSFT support engineer, this is an accepted bug by product team.
Waiting for a fix to be made available. In the meantime, we are reinstalling SfB.

@DannyVLRS 

I have found a solution that worked for me.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER  =>  SOFTWARE => IM Providers. Verify that DefaultIMAPP is set to “Lync”

For more details check that link: https://khushsolanki.blogspot.com/2017/07/fix-skype-for-business-integration-with.html

@kavhan 

That 'solution' doesn't work.

Yes, MSFT have replied:
- can continue to have (reinstall) SfB as part of OPP
- can wait several months for the UC integration components to be corrected in OPP
- have given me some UC typelibs, regtlib util and regkeys (lync.exe) to remove

We have adopted the first option so far. This is annoying a few people because we were using SfB via autorun until we migrated to Teams-only, and the autorun of SfB still remains but results in a signin error which needs to be dismissed. So we need to package/script removal of the autorun of SfB to clean this up.

I am about to test option3 (package/script this all up for deployment via SCCM). I will still need to cleanup the SfB autorun.

Hi Don, can you share the details of fix #3 please?

Thanks

@Don Pickard I would also like to see the information about option 3

We also tested the DefaultIMAPP fix and that does not work. Looking like we will just redeploy proplus with S4B included. Also seems that users need to run S4B once, and then never need to run it again.

@CloudHal @RonaldvdMeer 

I was provided with 3 files and a regkey-to-delete, by the MS engineer as part of my premier support case. two files are typelibs (1 x 32bit and 1x64bit) plus the regtlib.exe to register the typelibs.

the regkey-to-delete, seems to remove the lync.exe typelib registration.

I assume that this all equates to alternative plumbing for the presence-in-outlook function.

uc.tlb = 64bit

uc.win32.tlb = 32bit

On a problematic machine, find the Office flavor (32 bit or 64 bit) and root of Office installation (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 for 64 bit Office, or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 for 32 bit Office);

Place the relevant typelib in the office16 folder.

Copy regtlib.exe to same location and run this command from an elevated command window to register UC Tyepelib (assume 64 bit):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\regtlib uc.tlb

Delete this entry from Registry (right click on the GUID and select delete), if it exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{B9AA1F11-F480-4054-A84E-B5D9277E40A8}

Restart outlook

@Don Pickard 

Where can we find regtlib.exe and the uc.tlb?

Thanks Don, have you tested this?

@Don Pickard @CloudHal 

I found the right regtlib. Downloaded and extracted from dotnetfx.exe and the correct uc.tlb for teams (this was on my testsystem. I registered the tlb file. The registry key was not present. 

Restarted outlook but presence was not enabled but i thought maybe rebooting the system would be necessary. So i did, started outlook and yes that worked.

So @Don Pickard restarting the system is required in addition to your instructions.

I will give this a further field test next week.

-Edit

Unfortunately it worked temporary. As soon if i restarted outlook. Presence was gone.

@Ronald van der Meer 

Hey Ronald, where did you find the following files by chance?

@CloudHal   no, I've not yet tested this on a clean machine