SOLVED

Display online status next to name in Outlook Greyed Out

Brass Contributor

60 Replies

@ShariqM 

No i didn't. I searched for uc.tlb on a device where the presence doesn't work

@Ronald van der Meer thanks for letting us know, at this stage I think we are just going to redeploy Office.

@DannyVLRS  

Just found a way as a workaround to solve this issue. I've tested it on my environment: Windows 10 1809 & Office 365 64 bit & Teams, it's working fine.
My steps:
1. Install the Skype for Business. Not need to login, just install it.
2. Modify the registry - 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\Communicator', empty every keys, except the 'Default'.
3. Maybe need to reboot.
Then the presence icon will be working fine.

Anyway, this just a workaround for me, cause I have to install the Skype for Business, even I didn't need it. And I guess Microsoft is still working on fix this issue.

Reference link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/presence-admins

These Steps are working Thanks.

@Priyan_Thusitha_Rathna 

No they don't. This probably only will work if Skype for Business is installed.

So this is not the solution.

@DannyVLRS 

Please check with regedit with below path

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1*******\Software\IM Providers

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

@sahoo1295 

No that is not the solution. Please read the complete thread before commenting with useless solutions. This wil only work if Skype for Business is still installed.

@DannyVLRS 

It looks like Microsoft finally fixed the problem. I got an update today. Office ProPlus Montly Channel (Targeted Release) 2003 (Built 12624.20176)

Aantekening 2020-03-10 144510.png

@RonaldvdMeerand to All,

I understand this was solved with a Teams update. See issue #4454
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/presence-admins

Enjoy!

try going into teams settings and turning on and off the "Register Teams as the Chat app for Office" then restarting all the MS Office applications. this worked for me, the status in outlook came back.  @DannyVLRS 

@DannyVLRS - still a bug for us.  I've noted that users are unable to change this as greyed out and ticked.  Myself as an admin could change but after changing the Teams setting mentioned previous and closing both outlook and teams and reopening both the option is then greyed out for myself.

Eventually i noted the setting returned and i could tick and untick.  

I wonder if its a Teams tenant thing causing this..?

@Gary Smith Hi there!

Our experience was this was client side. Office 365 Pro Plus (now M365 Apps for enterprise) had Skype for Business (S4B) in it. If you did not install S4B, the presence between Teams and O365 was missing. It was actually S4B that did it. Teams at the time did not have the code to do it.  We hit the issue on new SOE PCs when we decided to drop S4B.

A workaround was to re-install S4B but not an ongoing solution.

Time went by and Teams was developed further by Microsoft and the workaround is no longer required. Teams has its own code to work with O365 / M365.

For you, ensure Teams is updated and M365 is also in service.

I have tried all the solution given and mine still the same nothing is changed. Got any other solution? @cats_admin 

I follow the step but cannot see the changes. Its same.

@Arwin22 

I recently had this problem after an upgrade and I found this workaround.

Open Registry Editor, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER - SOFTWARE, see if you have a Key called 'IM Providers'. I didn't. So I created one. Right Click on SOFTWARE and say New Key. Name it 'IM Providers'. Now right click on IM Providers, and click New- 'New String Value'. Name that 'DefaultIMApp'.  Double click on it and set value data to Teams.

This worked for me. Let me know if it did for you.

GBats_0-1618962807331.png

@DannyVLRS 

You can go to file > options > addins > Go 

Check microsoft teams / skype has a check mark or not

If not click, check that option and click on okay 

Close outlook and re-open 

Once it is re-open check 

then you will have the option to check 

If not then you have to add the addin 

Basically your outlook needs to be synchronized with teams/ Skype, Thats when Display online status next to name will be available. 

@GBats 

Thanks.  It worked for me. too  :folded_hands:

Hi Danny, thanks that I ended up here and managed to solve this issue. I was looking for a solution for months and finally, the solution was right here on a post from 2019. :D
I have to add that the value I had on the mentioned KEY was CiscoJabber, and I realized it stopped working just by the time I installed that app so, I understand now Jabber was set up as the default IM app so Outlook was getting the wrong value from the wrong source.
So all, be careful when installing any IM application other than Teams!!
Thanks a million!! ;)