Disable Teams Created by Office 365 Groups

Bronze Contributor

Hello MTC, I have a wired case I wonder if anyone knows a workaround or a Powershell I still believe that wouldn't be possible but wanted to give it a try posting here;

We have an O365 group that got a Teams/SharePoint, now the requirement is not to use Teams/Sharepoint but only use the Group Email I know one easy step is to delete this group and just create a distro list or create a new group and don't enable Teams and also ignore using Sharepoint, but is it possible to disabled Teams, ignore Sharepoint and just use the O365 group email of the existing group.

so to give you more information we just want to use the communication feature of email, no Teams, no Sharepoint, and No Planner.

P.S: we are highly recommending and using O365 groups in our whole tenant with all its features for our Business users but this is a unique request which we don't want to use Distro and try Groups, for an existing group which already has many emails no data & conversations in Teams/Sharepoint.

1 Reply

Hi,

There is not possible (AFIK) to disable Teams for a Microsoft 365 Group that have Teams enabled. It is requested in this uservoice request:

Delete Team without deleting Office Group – Microsoft Teams UserVoice

It is not possible to convert a Microsoft 365 Group to a Distribution List (looks like it that you want), that request been declined in a uservoice request:

Allow conversion of 365 groups back to distribution lists. – Customer Feedback for Microsoft Office ...

So what you could do is to delete your old M365 group and create a new without enabling Teams, or create a simple distribution list.

Create a group in the admin center - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs

Create distribution groups - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs