SOLVED

Disable "Share to Outlook" in Microsoft Teams?

Steel Contributor

Hi All, 

First I want to mention that i'm loving this function. Sharing a post from a teams channel to an email or the other way around :hearteyes:

The only thing is that i'm curious how to disable this function. 

Why?

What if i'm a member of a secure "Private Channel" and share the post by email with someone else... 

Is there an option to disable this function per teams/channel/person? This would be a nice. 

Spit trough all policies but wasn't able to find an option to disable, but it could be that it is not there yet :) 

Hope someone can provide the information :) 

Thanks 

regards, 

Mitchell Bakker

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Mitchell Bakker (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Hi @Mitchell Bakker

I can't find the ability to do this in the Teams client or the Teams admin centre. So I have raised a uservoice here

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/39736195-disable-enable-contro...

I would recommend voting to push this up the agenda. I believe it should be an optional feature which can be set in the TAC under org settings (the email section where you can email channels) and then applied on a Team/Channel basis

Hope this answers your question!

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard this feature isn't working for any of us at my location.  Any suggestions?

I get the point and I could see a case for disabling, but nothing keeps anyone from just Screen Snipping the conversation and sending to Outlook as well, so I'm kind of indifferent here :).
They are rolling it out, could be you are on a tenant where it isn’t activated yet...
That's true - but anything that prevents people pushing stuff back into Outlook and opening it up to rambling, waffling email and massive email chains is fine by me y'all.

Best, Chris
True that, but the button makes it a bit more easier for the end user ;)

But I do understand that the user is still able to share the information via a screenshot or copy/paste but it takes a bit more steps and formatting is lost ;)

@Mitchell Bakker Why does with all new Options and features always first comes the thought of "malicious intend" into the minds of the people and why do so many think that there colleagues are such crooks?

For decades, it was and still is possible to forward an Email that has been going round among a certain defined group of Members, and noone cried out for disabling Mail Forwarding in Outlook.

Why now suggest everyone is driven by "malicious intend" and mail forwarding in Teams is a bad thing?
It always comes down to proper behaviour and communication. Team Owners should communicate that all discussions in a private Team are not to be forwarded by Outlook except those held in a special channel for example, or the other way around. Every discussion can be forwarded now except those in a special Channel.

people are not bad in majority.

But nonetheless, I would like to have a toggle option on each Channel for the availability of "Share to Outlook", too, very much!

Hi Andreas,

I do understand your standpoint, but
in Microsoft Outlook you have the option to label the email as “Do not forward” so that specific email cannot be:

- Printed
- forwarded
- replied on with changing TO/CC/BCC
- Copied from (copy paste from email doesn’t work)

So that is the difference in Outlook and Teams :grinning_face:

See link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/configure-usage-rights#do-not-forward-...

I’m not saying that this function needs to go away, but if there is an option to prevent this in some teams or high risk users it would be better, imho :grinning_face:
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mitchell Bakker (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Hi @Mitchell Bakker

I can't find the ability to do this in the Teams client or the Teams admin centre. So I have raised a uservoice here

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/39736195-disable-enable-contro...

I would recommend voting to push this up the agenda. I believe it should be an optional feature which can be set in the TAC under org settings (the email section where you can email channels) and then applied on a Team/Channel basis

Hope this answers your question!

Best, Chris

View solution in original post