Disable MFA on free version of Teams

Copper Contributor

I am attempting to set up a free Teams system for a small church whose services have been cancelled due to the corona virus.  Teams has everything they have asked for and will enable the older members of the congregation to stay in contact.

However many of these older members do not have smart phones and are not computer savvy - for obvious reasons we are trying to avoid going house to house breaking the social distancing rules to help them set up teams.

I am confident i can get them set up with an email but they are having a very hard time with the fact that free teams appears to require MFA.   They don't know what to do, are forced into an installation process which is not at all intuitive for them.

I cannot seem to find a way, in the free teams version, to disable the MFA requirement - even when the users Microsoft account specifically has it disabled.  Is there a way to remove this requirement? it is preventing them from being able to use teams to communicate and share. 

3 Replies

Hi,

I didn't know MFA was enabled for Teams Free since it is a premium feature. You can manage MFA at https://portal.azure.com/ > Active Directory > MFA.

It would be worth trying @Linus Cansby  tip but I wonder if you'll have access with the free version, that's more limited.  

MFA is being enabled across the board using security defaults "we are applying security defaults for all license levels, even trial tenants, ensuring every account can be protected by MFA." - Introducing security defaults.  If you have access, this would be the steps to disable it.

@Cian Allner Thank you all for responses so far.  I will try but I don't think I have access to the Azure AD configuration for this - that is all under the hood as far as I can tell.  I'll be reaching out to Microsoft support today to see what i can find out.   Tried chat last night but apparently teams is considered a business product not an office 365 product and need to contact a different group during business hours.