Disable Meetings in a Separate Window

Copper Contributor

It seems a recent change to teams forces meetings into a new window. I can't find any options to disable this - to return to having the meetings docked in Teams.

I have version 1.4.00.4167 (64-bit).

Any help would be appreciated.

18 Replies
I'm running the same version on my work account, and I still have the option available: "Turn on new meeting experience (New meetings and calls will open in separate windows. Requires restarting Teams.)"

@Vasil Michev 

I don't have that option anymore - however all of my chats don't automatically open in a new window, it's only video calls/meetings that causes this.

Hi, what Vasil wrote above will be the default with no check box option. The change was about to rollout end of last year but has been delayed.

@ChristianBergstrom This isn't really a good thing. It is adding one click to my workflow to get in and out of meetings. It's frustrating that this behavior is being forced without the ability to keep the old method.

I can understand that. But it’s part of the bigger picture using Teams and new features, not only separate windows.

There used to be a roadmap id and a Message center post describing the change. These are now gone, don’t know why. The only official info still out there (besides the blog post) from what I can tell is this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/get-a-preview-of-new-meeting-features-04533e91-3203-4530-...
Agreed, this feature needs to be brought back. Can't believe it's not even an option. What a step back.

i can understand a bigger picture use for teams, but that should not remove user agency. there will inevitably be users (like myself) who greatly appreciated the mini window function when you went to chat in teams. it allowed keeping an eye on content that they have no need actively engaging with, while multitasking with other chats. the issue is also compounded by the forced minimum size that the new pop out windows have. on a laptop, not being able to shrink the window to smaller than 1/4th the total screen space makes actually switching between it and chat more cumbersome and unwieldy. i would honestly be comfortable with the change if something as simple as not restricting how small the meeting window could be made was implemented instead of what it is now.

I 100% agree.

I work with multiple screens and with a multitude of programs, and switching between yet another window for Teams is less than ideal. The new user experience seems quite inconsistent, as you aren't required to pop out conversations (do not force this), but you are required to pop out meetings.

For me, forcing users to use the "new user experience" workflow is a regression rather than a step forward. Please bring back the option to have everything docked in a single window as soon as humanly possible.

Currently running Teams build 1.4.00.6862 (64-bit) and the option under Settings > General has disappeared. This needs to come back ASAP please. Forcing users to have all their calls/meetings open in a new window is not a good feature.

I personally don't care about the "bigger picture". I have plenty of separate windows open at any one time. I REALLY don't need another separate window for a Teams meeting. If opting out of that feature means I don't have other "bigger picture" features, I'm okay with that. Let me decide!
I appreciate that. But tell Microsoft about it. I'm a community member just like you.

@ChristianBergstrom  - Yeah, got it. I actually did tell Microsoft, using the link you posted in another thread on this subject. Thanks.

+1 for allowing the meeting to be in-window. I often use Teams in a browser tab to avoid too many separate windows.
In my case working with single window is counter productive.
I am using two displays. During daily work I am participating in many meetings, and having separate window for meeting gave me oportunity to use other functions of teams in the same time.
Like chats with other users, tasks etc.

If I may suggest something to Microsoft is to enable options.
Recently Microsoft modified many small things in interfaces, not only in Teams but in other tools as well. From my perspective those small changes rather caused problems than help in anything.
Each users has own preferences and it's very difficult to create one interface, which would fit to all needs. That's why I am for giving options.
In perfect situation MS Teams and other tools should have options to enable/dissable interface features. This would give users possibility to fit tool to their work style and needs.

Forcing users to open a new window for meetings is not a way of new feature integration. This should be based on user's choice and should always be backward compatible.

@mfilion

There is a way to disable teams separate windows Meetings

To do this, Go to Microsoft Teams for Mac - Download

If Windows, Go to Microsoft Teams - Download

scroll down and older versions Select 1.3.00.33671 And wait for the page to load and after the page loads up, Press Download And install 

@mfilion It gets even funnier now... I have the same version of teams installed on my laptop and my desktop pc, but both behave differently.

On my Laptop new meetings have a standalone window and on the desktop pc they do not.

There's no setting to change that and it's really frustrating...

I want a choice and I like the meeting being in a new window, it keeps the other chats more available...

EDIT: The Version is: 1.4.00.19572 (64-Bit)

@Loasmo 

Same here, new video calls and meetings open in the main Teams window, undetached. The option to detach is gone and can no longer follow a presentation on one screen while chatting with others in the main Teams window.. Changing the default to undetached is one thing, removing the option completely is another. 

Teams wasnt great with simple things like allowing for more than just 15 pinned contacts, but at least that was a practical feature. Now it regressed to no detachable confcalls, and still just 15 pinned contacts.

Oh and no actual local chat history that can be sorted, browsed and searched as good as Skype with Outlook integration had..

Basically, only huge steps backwards.