SOLVED

Disable File Sharing in Teams 1:1 Chat

Copper Contributor

Hey Guys,

is it possible to disable the file sharing in Teams Chats?

JanMartenHohnroth_2-1630490820335.png

Thanks guys for helping

6 Replies
best response confirmed by JanMartenHohnroth (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello, may I ask about the use case here as there are many things you can do instead of disable file sharing. The very fundamental of Teams is collaboration so perhaps you shouldn't use it but instead SharePoint/Groups with more restrictive permissions? But you can for ex. disable the SharePoint license so the users won't have OneDrive for business (not optimal). OneDrive is being used when sharing files in chats and group chats. If this would be done the users can still share files using standard channels which belong to the SharePoint document library.

@ChristianJBergstrom There are a few use cases, this feature is needed to meet compliance requirements and to protect file sharing through Teams.  Please let me know if we can achieve the original requirement mentioned by @JanMartenHohnroth.   This may not be required for all users, if this can be restricted for Guest Users, would like to know the steps to achieve it. 

You can use Defender for Cloud Apps to prevent uploading files or set the site level sharing permission to the most restrictive.
Click on the top right gear icon and select "Site permissions". Click on the option "Change how members can share". If you do not see this option you are not signed in as a Team Owner. Select the appropriate sharing option.
Regards,
Rachel Gomez
There are several ways as noted. The initial post was about 1:1 group chat though.
Hi! I’ve just found this solution for me and I think it can work perfectly for you. It is the latest release of the Agat software that has a feature called the "Ethical Wall," which helps to prevent sensitive data from being shared between select users or departments. This program will block all forms of file sharing (desktop, file, video, audio) and more.

Look at this!

https://agatsoftware.com/microsoft-teams-ethical-wall/
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JanMartenHohnroth (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello, may I ask about the use case here as there are many things you can do instead of disable file sharing. The very fundamental of Teams is collaboration so perhaps you shouldn't use it but instead SharePoint/Groups with more restrictive permissions? But you can for ex. disable the SharePoint license so the users won't have OneDrive for business (not optimal). OneDrive is being used when sharing files in chats and group chats. If this would be done the users can still share files using standard channels which belong to the SharePoint document library.

View solution in original post