SOLVED

Disable chat messaging in APP vs Browser

Copper Contributor

Hello,

My child began using Microsoft teams for her virtual schooling this semester. At first we were given a link to the meeting that would open in the internet browser. We started using the teams in the internet browser but soon after downloaded the teams app onto the desktop. The teacher has disabled the chat, however, the chat is only disabled when using teams through the internet browser.  I noticed a few differences between using the internet browser version and the app version. My child has since began using the chat in the app version.  I would like to know how I can disable the chat in the app version or if this is even possible as my child is only a participant not a host. On the teacher end the chat is disabled, so not sure why it is an option on the app version. If this cannot be done I will just uninstall the app, but was hoping not as with the app the clarity is better than when using the browser.  Thank you!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Asantiago24 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
There are two policies. Meeting chat and messaging chat. Using the desktop it’s probably still allowed to chat but the web join link is joining a meeting which Probabaly has meeting policy for chat set to disable. Or could be a few other ways to prevent chat like having a meeting in a channel the kids don’t have access too will allow join but not chat etc.

The desktop app Probabaly is accessing the chat tab directly so it’s open. The policies have to prevent it you as a parent cannot change it etc.
Ok :thumbs_up: makes sense, thank you very helpful!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Asantiago24 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
There are two policies. Meeting chat and messaging chat. Using the desktop it’s probably still allowed to chat but the web join link is joining a meeting which Probabaly has meeting policy for chat set to disable. Or could be a few other ways to prevent chat like having a meeting in a channel the kids don’t have access too will allow join but not chat etc.

The desktop app Probabaly is accessing the chat tab directly so it’s open. The policies have to prevent it you as a parent cannot change it etc.

View solution in original post