SOLVED

Disable channel creation

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Is there a global setting to prevent users from creating new channels? I can only find a way to disable private channels, but nothing for ordinary channels?

-Michael

11 Replies

@miclarsen1 In a Team You can disable it here.DisableChannelCreation1.png

Hi @MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile,

Thank you for replying.

I knew about the local disable from within the Teams themselves, but I am looking for a global way to do this, so I don't have to go through every single Team.

-Michael

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@miclarsen1 Hi! I believe you're looking for 'Set-Team' and the -AllowCreateUpdateChannels parameter.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/teams/set-team?view=teams-ps

@ChristianBergstrom "Set-Team" changes settings for 1 team not all. Is there a setting at tenant level?

@sam919 Hi, try working with the Teams templates. But bear in mind you cannot use TAC (Teams admin center) because the team settings will not follow when using the GUI (don't ask me why). So, PowerShell or MS Graph for Teams is the way to go here.

@ChristianJBergstrom What setting is that though? I want to change the default for all teams not 1 team at a time. 

Understood already.

The settings for members and guests when using PowerShell is called AllowCreateUpdateChannels and AllowGuestCreateUpdateChannels

When using Graph
"memberSettings":
"allowCreateUpdateChannels": false
"guestSettings"
"allowCreateUpdateChannels": false

@ChristianJBergstrom Do you mean using "Set-Team" command? I think "AllowCreateUpdateChannels" setting is for changing it for an existing Team. I probably can run it in a loop to update all Teams but when you create a new Team, the default is set to "true" which is not desirable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@ChristianJBergstrom So I can create a team template with the settings I want and when a user wants to create a new team they should choose that template to create their team from that template, correct?

Yes, I haven't worked that much with templates but from my experience the Owner of the team will always be able to check/uncheck whatever settings you predefine.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@miclarsen1 Hi! I believe you're looking for 'Set-Team' and the -AllowCreateUpdateChannels parameter.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/teams/set-team?view=teams-ps

View solution in original post