SOLVED

Direct Routing, Multi-Tenant problem

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm testing MS Teams Direct Routing service, I want to use multi tenancy option and I have these scenarios:

SBCs domains ( domain.com as example, each "sbc" with unique IP address :(

sbc1.domain.com

sbc2.comain.com

sbc3.domain.com

sbc4.domain.com

Customer domains ( customer "demo" as example :(

demo.sbc1.domain.com

demo.sbc2.comain.com

demo.sbc3.domain.com

demo.sbc4.domain.com

So, I want that customer demo could have a failover between the four SBCs, so, I'm trying to do the appropriate configuration, I already added and validated the SBCs and customer domains on 365 admin center and created an user for each SBC and customer domain with an E3 license ( each ). 

But my problem is that I can only add one of the SBCs ( sbc1.domain.com ) on the Direct Routing  ( teams admin center ) SBCs admin area, when I try to add a new SBC I see the error "We can't use the "sbc2.domain.com" domain as it hasn't be set up in the organization. Please try again. If you continue to have problems, contact Microsoft customer support."

I need to wait? I'm doing something wrong? I need to do something else?

FYI, I followed the steps from this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-sbc-multiple-tenants

Regards!

11 Replies
If you are adding the SBCs demo.sbc1.domain.com, demo.sbc2.comain.com, demo.sbc3.domain.com and demo.sbc4.domain.com. Then you have to add the domains sbc1.domain.com, sbc2.comain.com, sbc3.domain.com and sbc4.domain.com in Office 365.

Hi @Linus Cansby , I already added the domains sbc1.domain.com, sbc2.domain.com, sbc3.domain.com and sbc4.domain.com in Office 365 admin center, my problem is that I can't add a second SBC ( like sbc2.domain.com )  on the direct routing ( Teams admin center ), I just have one working SBC ( sbc1.domain.com ).

Thank you for the response.

Regards!

@aacosta 

Hi,

You sound like you've done the initial bit correctly by adding the SBC FQDN's into O365 as an extra domain and then adding a user to that domain with the correct license (E1\E3\E5)

When you say Multi-tenant? Are you hosting the SBC's for a number of customers??

If so, on the customer tenant, do not use New-CsOnlinePSTNGateway. This will remain blank.

Instead define them on the Voice Routes so for example to have Active\Active on sbc1 and sbc2, you would do New-CsOnlineVoiceRoute -Name "UK-Mobile" -Priority 1 -OnlinePSTNUsage "UK-Mobile" -OnlinePSTNGatewayList sbc1.domain.com, sbc2.domain.com -NumberPattern '^\+44(7([1-57-9]\d{8}|624\d{6}))$' -Description "UK Mobile Calls"

And so forth for your different dial plans.  Calls will alternately go out over either SBC based on the matched number pattern. If you wanted one to be a backup then you would run the same again but change the priority number. It would try the SBC of the higher priority first before continuing down.

Hope that helps.

Hi @fowler_23, thank you for your response, I want to offer SIP trunks to more than 1 MS Teams customer, so, that's why I have 4 SBCs, each one with unique IP address.

This is what I want to have when I get a working Multi Tenant service:

SBC1

customer1.sbc1.domain.com

customer2.sbc1.domain.com

SBC2

customer1.sbc2.domain.com

customer2.sbc2.domain.com

SBC3

customer1.sbc3.domain.com

customer2.sbc3.domain.com

SBC4

customer1.sbc3.domain.com

customer2.sbc4.domain.com

I did what you told me on powershell, I'm not using the New-CsOnlinePSTNGateway.

When I use New-CsOnlineVoiceRoute for the sbc2.domain.com ( or even sbc3 and sbc4 ) ( of course this domains are just an example, I'm not showing the real domain names)  I see the next error message:

Cannot find specified Gateway "sbc2.domain.com".
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (Description=;Nu...Name=route_test:OnlineRoute) [New-CsOnlineVoiceRoute], ArgumentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CustomValidationFailed,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Internal.NewOnlineVoiceRouteCmdlet
+ PSComputerName : admin3a.online.lync.com

With sbc1.domain.com I don't have any problem adding it using New-CsOnlineVoiceRoute, that's why I don't know if I have to wait some days for all the configuration to be reflected to all Microsoft servers for sbc2.domain.com, sbc3.domain.com an sbc4.domain.com

Regards!

@aacosta 

That should be fine as long as you have customer1.sbc2.domain.com configured as a domain within that tenant. Then a user assigned to that domain with an O365 license (E1,E3 or E5).

And customer1.sbc2.domain.com as a public FQDN going to sbc2.domain.com

When I say don't use New-CsOnlinePSTNGateway. You would use that on the base domain (your domain as the carrier) so you would run that command on sbc1.domain.com, sbc2.domain.com etc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-sbc-multiple-tenants

Your error message that you pasted just says sbc2.domain.com. Not sure if you removed the preceding section because if that is in your customer tenant, then as per your preferred setup. The OnlineVoiceRoute should state customer1.sbc1.domain.com, customer1.sbc2.domain.com which matches the added domain specified in the customer tenant.

And then to reiterate, sbc1.domain.com, sbc2.domain.com only exists in your carrier tenant.

Hopefully that gives you more assistance.  

Hi @fowler_23,  thank you for your reponse

" Your error message that you pasted just says sbc2.domain.com. Not sure if you removed the preceding section because if that is in your customer tenant, then as per your preferred setup. "

I'm the carrier, so, I'm using the Carrier tenant but I can't add the sbc2.domain.com, sbc3.domain.com or sbc4.domain.com, I see the message that I wrote before, I don't know why I can only add the sbc1.domain.com; as a test I deleted the sbc1.domain.com and waited for 2 days, and even if I don't have that domain I still can add it as a SBC for Direct Routing.

Microsoft support don't know until this day what is happening :(

Regards!

@aacosta 

Sorry - thought you were talking about the customer tenant.

If working in the carrier tenant and you can't run New-CsOnlinePSTNGateway -FQDN sbc2.domain.com ....

There should be no reason this can't be added as long as you have sbc2.domain.com added as a domain in the carrier tenant and status is Healthy. Again, you will need a user as well assigned to that domain within the Users section with E1\E3\E5

Follow the section titled "Register a base domain name in the carrier tenant"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-sbc-multiple-tenants

As previous, carrier tenant only has OnlinePSTNGateway. You don't define voice routes in the carrier tenant, only in the customer tenant.

Hi@fowler_23 

I can't add sbc2.domain.com, sbc3.domain.com or sbc4.domain.com with New-CsOnlinePSTNGateway ( carrier tenant ), with users with E3 licenses for that domains, and that's my problem, I can't do anything on the customer tenant side until I have a working carrier tenant :(

Regards!

Sorry @aacosta 

I'm not sure what else I can suggest :) I've done this exact setup quite recently so not sure what the issue is you're facing as you seem to be doing it all correctly from your messages. My company does a lot of Direct Routing work.

My suggestion is to re raise with Microsoft and I guess just make sure your additional domains in the carrier tenant are spelt exactly like you're spelling them in the CsOnlinePSTNGateway command or contact a support partner who can maybe assist through a shared session?

Good luck.

Hi @fowler_23 MS support team don't know what is happening, I created another tenant ( Tenant2 ) and confirmed that this issue is a 100% Microsoft problem because after I deleted al the domains from Tenant1 ( tenant where I have the issues ) , now in the Tenant2 I can add sbc3.domain.com and sbc4.domain.com with CsOnlinePSTNGateway, I can't add sbc1.domain.com and sbc2.domain.com and I think is because those domains are stuck in the Tenant1.

I'm going to delete the Tenant1 and check if that solves the problem.

Regards!

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @fowler_23, @Linus Cansby , I lost my user account because I had to delete my old tenant, that solved the problem, I'm lucky that was only a test tenant, now everything works fine with the setup steps you both told me.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thank you!

Regards!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @fowler_23, @Linus Cansby , I lost my user account because I had to delete my old tenant, that solved the problem, I'm lucky that was only a test tenant, now everything works fine with the setup steps you both told me.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thank you!

Regards!

View solution in original post