Direct Routing Hosting Model

Copper Contributor

Hi

Can someone tell me when I create a voice route with new-csonlinevoiceroute does the -OnlinePSTNGateway parameter need to match the name of the subdomain created that was based on the carrier domain?

For example I have a subdomain of customer1.dr.domain.com in the customer tenant environment that has been validated and activated and we have dr.domain.com in the carrier tenant for the base domain which has also been activated and validated.

In the carrier tenant we have run the New-CsOnlinePSTNGateway -Fqdn sbc1.dr.domain.com -SipSignallingPort 5061 -MaxConcurrentSessions 2000 -MediaBypass $true -Enabled $true 

and I can see those SBCs in the carrier tenant.

However when we run the new-csonlinevoiceroute using the fqdn of sbc1.dr.domain.com in the customer tenant we get an error stating cannot find the specified gateway. My question is do we need to run the new-csonlinevoiceroute and use the fqdn of customer1.dr.domain.com which will resolve to the IP address of the SBC.  If that is correct that FQDN doesn't match the SBC name we configured of sbc1.dr.domain.com but will it still work?

Confused! and the documentation is not clear. Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

7 Replies

Hi @ASharpie 

In your example, you wouldn't use sbc1.dr.domain.com when doing new-csonlinevoiceroute.

This is the carrier domain CsOnlinePSTNGateway.

In fact, if possible I would simplify it if you can. Just use sbc1.domain.com in the carrier domain.

Then, in the customer tenant, new-csonlinevoiceroute would be customer1.sbc1.domain.com. It will take the derived trunk from sbc1.domain.com.

You will need public A DNS records for customer1.sbc1.domain.com to point to the public IP of sbc1.domain.com

Of course, you'll need a user in the customer tenant assigned to the domain customer1.sbc1.domain.com with an E1\E3 or E5 license in order to be able to run the new-csonlinevoiceroute cmdlet.

I think taking away 1 of the sub domains if you can might simplify it if possible. if not, then your customer domain will need be customer1.sbc1.dr.domain.com, not customer1.dr.domain.com as it won't get the derived settings from the OnlineGateway as that's sbc1.dr.domain.com

Hope that helps.

Hi @fowler_23

Hi @fowler_23 

Thanks for your reply. much appreciated.

I think my confusion here is around the OnlinePSTNGateway fqdn so you are basically saying that needs to match the carrier base domain? I was under the impression you could call this anything you liked provided it was a subdomain of the carrier base domain, so sbc1.carrierdomain.com.

The Voice route in the customer 1 tenant would point to customer1.carrierdomain.com as the PSTN Gateway List and the trunk would be derived from carrierdomain.com.

Thanks!

@ASharpie 

Let me give you my setup which might help

Carrier Domain:  contoso.com

Carrier Sub Domain: voice.contoso.com

Carrier OnlinePSTNGateway: voice.contoso.com

Customer Domain: customer.com

Customer Sub Domain: customer1.voice.contoso.com

CSOnlineVoiceRoute: customer1.voice.contoso.com

customer1.voice.contoso.com > Public A Record > Pointing to IP of voice.contoso.com

Customer VoiceRoute picks up derived trunk from voice.contoso.com

Regards

Hi @fowler_23

Thanks and this is basically what I have however I do not have a carrier subdomain defined do I need that? I hadn't read anywhere you needed that, I understood just a carrier base domain and tenant subdomains.

So when I create the carrier OnlinePSTNGateway I use the base domain as the FQDN .

When I define the voice route in the customer tenant do I still have to add the  -OnlinePSTNGatewayList  parameter and add the FQDN of the OnlinePSTNGateway or is this derived some how auto-magically?

Thanks again for your continued assistance! 

@ASharpie 

If you refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-sbc-multiple-tenants

and under the section Register a Base Domain and subdomains. Their example has the carrier base domain as adatum.biz and then an additional domain customers.adatum.biz so my example follows Microsoft's logic.

No - you don't need to add PSTNOnlineGateway parameter to the customer tenant. That same document again. Search for Create a trunk and provision user. That gives some information there about derived trunks.

Hi @fowler_23 

OK thanks. I've had to change and create new domains now, I also have the complexity of load balancing between two sites which has driven the need to create new carrier subdomains, one for each SBC pair and also new customer domains based on the carrier subdomain. What an ache! 

It's clear to me that documentation needs updating and full explanations of how you achieve fail-over etc is required, that part is especially not clear.   

Thanks for your help!

Hi @fowler_23

I got all this working in the end but I didn't need to create subdomains as per the MS example and you do need to have the PSTN Gateway List populated when creating the carrier trunk. If you dont do this there is no way to tell the voice route where it should route to so I believe the MS document to be misleading. Their documentation states you need to use the FQDN of the SBC in the voice route but the command doesn't show this and you cannot add it in any other way apart from that parameter. I have reviewed other posts on this and found the same. I just thought I'd update this post and feedback my findings. 

Thanks!