SOLVED

Differences between sign-out and quit?

Bronze Contributor

Hi,

Has anybody seen a clarification which could explain what are the differences between Sign-Out and Quit on Teams?

And if you do "end process" from task manager, is that more brutal than Quit? And if you do "sign-out" from workstation, is Teams ended again in a different way?

I'm asking this, because the most interest part of the story is the differences on next start up between different closing methods?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Petri X, I found a blog post by @Pieter Veenstra who describes the difference in the Teams app behaviour. If you quit Teams app, it will be closed, and you must start the application again manually. If you logout from the Teams app, it will sign out your account and give you the chance to login immediately again.

My experience is also, that Teams do a "fresh up" when you sign out and sign in again. The Teams app retrieves all policies assigned to your account.

For a clean shutdown of the app it is better to quit or log out instead a task kill.

Hi @Petri X   There's actually a Uservoice item that asks for a distinction: Log out & Quit buttons – Microsoft Teams UserVoice...

QUIT should exit the program but keep the same login info for the next time you open the app; LOG OUT removes the current user and the next time there should be a log in screen.   Should....

@Petri X 

Sign out will force quit, while quit will not sign you out.

Sign out is an account operation. You'll have to provide credentials the next time.

"Quit" is a computer operation, like closing any application (Word, Excel, etc.). Quit will stop Teams completely, while the top right x button will just close the screen and keep notifications running. When you reopen Teams after a quit, you'll still be signed in on the computer unless your credentials have expired.

I'd say the Task Manager is the last resort and should not be used if your application is still responding.

Big thanks to you all @Thorsten Pickhan@ThereseSolimeno and @Christophe Humbert 

So when reading your answers, the differences is only that "log-out" start Teams again, and having possibility to log-in with different credential.

About refreshing the policies I feels a bit uncertain. From the logical point of view it sound strange that "log-in" does not fresh the policies if the previous action has been "quit".

I also got an impression from you that killing Teams.exe (or sign-out from workstation) from the task manager is a different action than "quit"? Does "quit" still communicate something to O365?

And still I'm wishing to understand how the "log-in" in next time is different compared to these different exit methods. Perhaps you all have noticed that there has been differences between these. At least with the "new meeting experience" I could see different behavior how the setting stays selected. Also it is not so clear if caches are cleared differently in these cases, or are they at all.

Have you ever though, how did @Microsoft_Teams_team success to make this simple action so confused that it requires even blog articles? But also, I'm still dreaming that users does not need to worry about the caches: User Voice: can-we-get-teams-client-which-could-survives-witho.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Petri X, I found a blog post by @Pieter Veenstra who describes the difference in the Teams app behaviour. If you quit Teams app, it will be closed, and you must start the application again manually. If you logout from the Teams app, it will sign out your account and give you the chance to login immediately again.

My experience is also, that Teams do a "fresh up" when you sign out and sign in again. The Teams app retrieves all policies assigned to your account.

For a clean shutdown of the app it is better to quit or log out instead a task kill.

View solution in original post