Deleted Teams chat should be deleted permanently 6 months after a user is deleted

Frequent Contributor

Hi

I would like to configure the following policy:

1) When a user exists, all teams chat history is never deleted. By "user exists" I mean any user that hasn't been deleted.
2) As soon as the user is deleted, all teams chat history is kept for 6 months and then it's deleted.

Would you please let me know if the below configuration is correct to achieve the above?

1) M365 Compliance ] Policies ] Retention Policies ] New Retention Policy ] Static ] Teams channel messages and Teams Chat ] Retain items forever
2) M365 Compliance ] Policies ] Retention Policies ] New Retention Policy ] Static ] Teams private channel messages ] Retain items forever
3) Turn on litigation hold for 180 days so that when a user is deleted, their mailbox becomes inactive for 180 days.

Please let me know if this would work. I've read somewhere that when two policies are conflicting the one with the greater retention period is used and I'm worried that after 180 days, the inactive mailbox won't be deleted because the Teams Retention policy dictates the data to be retained forever.

1 Reply

@Ini No that won't work, the longest retention will win.

To retain based on an event, the user leaving your company, you would use Event Based Retention - Start retention when an event occurs - Microsoft 365 Compliance | Microsoft Docs

If that's a bit over complex, do you really need to retain the Teams data, against the users deleting it, or can you just leave it as default (never expires, but isn't retained).