Default email domain change has broken all MS Teams chat file links

Copper Contributor

Hi all, i'm hoping there's an easy resolution here. We changed default email domains on our tenant a few weeks ago and now it seems that all files shared in MS Teams chats have broken links. This is due to the Files tab in the chat still listing the old domain for all the files.

Eg:

MS Teams Link:

/personal/OLD_DOMAIN/Documents/MS Teams Chat Files/abc.doc    --- broken

File link

/personal/NEW_DOMAIN/Documents/MS Teams Chat Files/abc.doc

The only way to work around this is to dump the file back into the Teams chat and choose "Replace" when prompted. It's not really a feasible workaround in the long term.

Does anyone have any potential resolution to this?

Cheers!

10 Replies
In the Teams Admin Center > Manage Teams, has the email address of the Team changed to reflect the new default domain? If not, try and set the email address for the M365 group. You can find details on how to do this in this thread - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-365-groups/is-there-a-way-to-change-o365-group-emai...

Not 100% sure if this will fix the links actually, but regardless of that you should ensure your groups are named correctly.
Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.

This is not related to files in team channels (they are still ok).

This is related to files shared in Team chat. These files are stored in each individual's OneDrive and shared out to the other members. The path to view your onedrive follows a format similar to this:
https://tenantname-my.sharepoint.com/personal/<EMAIL-ADDRESS>/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx

The EMAIL ADDRESS portion of the URL updated when the default email domain changed. Unfortunately Teams doesn't appear to pick this change up for any files shared in Chat windows.
OK, and are these 1:1 chats or group chats, or a mix of both?
I'm not aware of any way you can control the behaviour of these links I'm afraid.
Oh well. Thanks for taking the time to respond Peter! Hopefully someone see's this as a valid use case to fix when changing default emails on a tenant.

Was this the only issue you ran into changing default domain names?

Thanks,

Lynn

@xazos1979 

@xazos1979 

We are running into the same, but we are talking about hundreds of files that are being shared back and forth. Did you ever find a truly workable solution? 

may I know if anyone has already resolve this kind of scenario?
I have a client with this exact same issue. Subscribing just in case a solution presents itself here.