SOLVED

Data retention question - Is live captioning recorded if a meeting is not recorded

Steel Contributor

One of our attorneys asked this question.  I'm sure the answer to this is "no", but I have been asked to ask.

9 Replies

@David Phillips Hello, I would say you're correct with a disclaimer that caption data is stored for ~30 minutes after a meeting and then permanently deleted.

@David Phillips 
It is a no from me but I am independent to Microsoft. So I would recommend raising a support case with Microsoft or an Account Manager if you have one in your organisation to get the official word.

I am no lawyer :) but it is worth mentioning that captioning and transcription when in the realms of Stream and the recorded video is not 100% accurate, so without knowing the want for this, I don't personally see how it could be used as any sort of reliable evidence. That is my presuming the reason though, so sorry in advance.

If you did want to at least ensure that things are recorded as a matter of course for compliance reasons I would recommend taking a look at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-recording-policy

Thanks

Henry

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@David Phillips Sorry David, should of course attached the link in the previous reply. Scroll down to the FAQ section https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-live-captions-in-a-teams-meeting-4be2d304-f675-4b57-8...

@ChristianBergstrom that's perfect, thank you very much!

I should have Googled...

I mean Binged...

@David Phillips No worries! It's not incorrect to ask a question and let others do the work ;)

@ChristianBergstrom Hah!  It happens to me every single day, I'm allowed to do the same every once in a while, right?  =D

@David Phillips Haha, most certainly!

Btw, would you mind checking the reply with the link as 'best response' for future reference.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)