Custom Background In MS Teams

Brass Contributor

UPDATED It looks like this is in the process of being rolled out or at least actively tested.

If you have the version with the option to select a background image, custom images can be added.

Save your image /s in the Uploads folder below

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads

Then, in teams while on a call; click the 'More Actions' (Three Dots) at the bottom, select 'Show Background Effects'

The pictures you added should show up on the right hand side of the screen with the default options from Microsoft.

Good Luck!

S

83 Replies

@Jin Chen You have to be on video to see option (actually see yourself)

_ Thanks for the replies everyone, but I'm pretty sure I have AVX2.  First I'm not using an old machine.  Both PCs I have are using 8th generation Intel chips.  One has the i5 and the i7.  Second, background blur is available and as I understand it, you need to have AVX2 to have that option.  I know where the background effects option is supposed to be.  It just isn't there.  Thanks!

@seanwindrem is it possible to set the custon Background Image as default somewhere in the Registry or so ?

Hi I am struggling to find that folder in my system - on HP Z book....running windows 10.....no sign of appdata under users........ any advice please? to @seanwindrem 

@Mrboyce 

Paste this into a Run window or File Explorer.   Then go to (or create if it's not there) the uploads folder.

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds

@Mrboyce 

Or this path worked for me:

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\

@HIPRM  - Some of the comments I saw when researching this lead me to believe that AVX 2 wasn't really "enforced" with the earlier Blur Background capability, but when it was replaced/upgraded to the Background Effects option they started enforcing it...   I didn't find any other explanation around this, so you'd have to get Microsoft to respond.

Just FYI, I'm not sure this helps, but CoreInfo really good tool anyway - but it is only indicating AVX, and doesn't seem able to specify AVX 2
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/coreinfo

superb that worked! @Mike Boehm 

Agree with comment by  Mike Boehm.

The background and your image are only mirrored/flipped in the Preview, and in the view of yourself in the meeting.  All the other participants see the correct orientation.
Some other forums posit that the logic is you are used to seeing yourself in the mirror, so to make you more comfortable microsoft mirrors it!  That is absolutely so stupid that I believe it.
They at least should notify you that this is normal behavior, but ideally should give you a way to enable/disable the mirroring effect....  (oh, AND have setting remembered from meeting to meeting!)

Thanks, but as I previously mentioned, the PCs I have use 8th generation Core i5 and i7 (Kabylake) AVX2 was definitely a feature of these CPUs.

@HIPRM - yeah, those processors should be good.   This other thread shows you are not alone in seeing similar Teams flaky/unexpected behavior... - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/start-video-with-blur-not-available/m-p/11736... 

Some ideas out of left field....

- I've read where AVX can use more power, so maybe check power saver settings.

- Maybe add-in graphics cards could affect behavior

Perhaps just wait it out, since these are fairly new features - as MS reacts to enterprise customers complaints it might just start working for you later....

@seanwindrem Note the Backgrounds folder is not populated by default, it is only available (visible) once you have initiated a video call and opened up the "Back ground Settings".

I got caught out trying to upload an image prior to opening backgrounds.

@CiiZii - good ideas, but so far no luck. I switch to max power/performance. The PCs I have are using internal Intel 630 chip GPUs. So no add-in card issues. My employer is under an EA license. The roll out continues so maybe this week. I do like the latest Windows 10 builds. Edge is finally beginning to grow on me. Must be the new Chromium stuff.
In Zoom the image you see of yourself is reversed but it is the right way round for others (like you are looking in a mirror) - i reversed several pictures before loading them before I found this out! Possibly the same in Teams, but I have not yet managed to use a background to find out.

Put your custom backgrounds in:

~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds

@potad ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds

@MarcH2020  Due to the camera mirror imaging, what you see is L + R but what everyone else sees is the correct way

Die meisten Videochat Programme spiegeln das eigene Bild, damit man das Gefühl hat, man steht vor dem Spiegel. Die anderen Chatteilnehmer sehen ein nicht-gespiegeltes Bild.

Amen Brian. Please let me know if you stumble on anything. I'm a Teams adoption instructor at my company and I'm one of the few who doesn't have this functionality yet. And I've had no clue why for weeks...
FYI. Microsoft has made it so AVX 1 is able to use background blur again and background effects. This should enable more users to use it across the board.