Custom Background In MS Teams

Brass Contributor

UPDATED It looks like this is in the process of being rolled out or at least actively tested.

If you have the version with the option to select a background image, custom images can be added.

Save your image /s in the Uploads folder below

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads

Then, in teams while on a call; click the 'More Actions' (Three Dots) at the bottom, select 'Show Background Effects'

The pictures you added should show up on the right hand side of the screen with the default options from Microsoft.

Good Luck!

S

83 Replies

@ Ken **bleep**

Hey, I am using a Mac but when I open the microsoft folder it doesn't show the teams folder. I would wish I could use custom backgrounds in meetings.

@seanwindrem - I have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.8663 (64-bit) on Mac OSX.  I went to my library folder and got to the Teams folder under App Support, but there is no background folder there.   No upload folder either.  Do I need to create them?  Shouldn't there already be backgrounds provided by Microsoft there?

@seanwindrem It would be great if teams would retain the custom background BEFORE you start a meeting.  This is a standard feature for Zoom and it would keep the awkward moments from occurring if the background was already defaulted from the last conversation.  (i.e.: So we don't have to start a call with no background, then switch to a background really quickly while the call is active and everyone can see.)

Has anyone gotten this to work with a Video background instead of just an image?  I tried adding a small MP4 file to the Uploads folder but Teams didn't like it and just showed black.  I'd love to have a moving background like I can do in Zoom.

@Mike Boehm I agree Mike, it didn't work for me either when I tried it.  It seems they have a ways to go yet.

@seanwindrem I have the latest version through our school and updated (You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.8663 (64-bit). It was last updated on 4/20/20.) Still no background options. Is this an issue?

@seanwindremcan my admin make the AppsData folder hidden?  I don't see it there, but when I tried to create one, it told me that the folder already exists.

@seanwindrem

Any idea why Teams displays custom images reversed (L to R)?

Can you link a video?
I don't see the uploads folder, the only Teams folder it has is a Chat Files folder...?
Are u on web or app? The version is on both, but it only works on tye app

@AidanL Try typing AppData behind your username. Mine wasn't visible either, I typed it in and it worked.

If you're on windows, just paste this into File Explorer or a Run window.

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\uploads

@aandrews22   Thanks - that worked! 

Hi! I went to the area you listed, but under teams there is no backgrounds folder.
Which version of OSX are you on? I have Catalina and the folder is not in the Teams folder under Application Support.
Alas, it appears not.

I tried with all kinds of video - MP4, WEBM, AVI, WMV, and even animated GIF. The GIF shows properly in the preview window (when selecting your background) but doesn't actually animate during the call. None of the videos work, and don't even preview.

Hello all,

My compagny demand :  how block/hide default background video and push custom background video on all compagny ?

It is possible ?

@MarcH2020- I noticed the same and reversed all the photos within the uploads folder.  However, in doing so, the photos were reversed to the viewer.  That said, the photos are only reversed for the images you are looking at not on the viewer side.  Very weird.