SOLVED

Custom Background Images for Teams Meetings

MVP

Teams allows you to use a set of images selected by Microsoft as the background for meetings. It’s a nice feature, even if it lacks the ability to upload and use a custom image of your own. This capability was promised, but it looks as if Microsoft knows they need to some work on admin framework before they allow people to upload their own images.

https://office365itpros.com/2020/04/06/teams-meeting-background-image/

97 Replies
Omg, bro you’re amazing, it worked, I can’t thank you enough, now I have the influenctial power over the peasants in my school using default backgrounds

@Kevin-M Hi  -  maybe I should put the computer back in the box as I have no clue where to find the Finder. Or I should just forget about it and wait for the update in May if there is one. Thanks and sorry that I may remedial in these tech issues

Hi there, You can find the finder application (the one with two faces, one blue and one white) on the dock bar at the edge of your home screen (the one with all the apps in it), the 'Go' menu for finder will appear once you open the app on the very top of the screen (where your time, wifi and other essential tools are, from there find 'Go to Folder' from the drop-down menu and there will be a box that appears, you need to type in what @Kevin-M wrote, (note: some of the script might already be typed in, as it was for me). From there navigate your way through the folders and into the Uploads folder in teams backgrounds.

Hope this helped

I just realised you might not have a Mac, what computer do you have? Windows or Mac

@Adsminor510  - 

Thank you for trying to help.

I am working on a Dell with Windows 10 and no clue what you are referring to about two faces. Maybe I just need to accept I am too **bleep** stupid to try to attempT this an just be content with my drab old background of my kitchen. Saw some really cool Star Wars backgrounds that would be cool, but oh well. Thanks again - stay safe

@hsperry 

hi!

finder is specific to MAC.

The Windows file location was noted as:

c:\users\<youruserid>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads

hope this works!

@JoshNelson 

I had the same thing happen but now it works - although saying that I can't remember if I was on the browser or the app on my laptop. 

@hsperry I had problems too, and it could be that you don't have the latest version of TEAMS yet. But make sure you try one of the stock backgrounds, or at least the background blur, the folders won't exist until you do that.

Haha mate, that's fine, I also had trouble when I was trying this. On windows it a different process, in the bottom left corner of your screen you'll find the windows button that you're familiar with, click on that and then in the search bar type;

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Upload

(you can copy-paste that and chuck that right it if you want) 

from there you should be in a folder where you're able to add any Star Wars images you want. 

If there are still any issues feel free to tell me, stay safe.

quick note: I don't own a windows computer so I'm not familiar with the layout of files manager, so I am generalising what I know, but it should still work.

@Adsminor510 Hi - When clicking on the window bottom left  - I do not see a search: this is what I see:

hsperry_0-1587567807719.png

Thank you for trying to help. 

I see I've added an image which has a few steps, I'd suggest trying the bottom one first as that seems most probable because what might be happening is that your search function could be appearing as hidden.

Hope this helps.

@adam deltinger  Thanks for your guide. I do not have the background as shown in the below picture, could you kindly tell me more?

Binh_Nguyen_0-1587740703447.png

@Sava_Jeremic, this worked like a Champ. Thanks!!

It is working fine in my Windows 10 laptop but how to do it in my iPad pro @Sava_Jeremic 

@Tuhin_PatraI heard an iOS update is coming that will add that but for now I don't think you can do it from a mobile iOS/iPadOS device.

@Tony Redmond that resolution plus PNG format. However JPG and higher res formats work as well. Place the images into the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads folder 

@Tony Redmond 

I was able to upload an image. I cannot see how to bring it up in Background Settings. Only the stock images. What am I missing? Thx

@kg1kg save the image into the %AppData%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads folder. You can paste that link into File Explorer. The default backgrounds are PNG files at a resolution of 1920 x 1080, but I've used JPG files and a higher resolution.