SOLVED

Create Tabs to Word Documents in Different Sharepoint Sites

Copper Contributor

I've only recently started using Teams and Sharepoint so apologies if I don't use the correct terminology etc.

My company already has a sharepoint site, lets call it Governance Sharepoint. Within this site there are document libraries containing Word documents and Excel documents for all departments.

I've now created a Team for my department and within this Team I have different channels for various things we do. This therefore means we also now have our own Sharepoint site which we are making full use of. However there are a couple of documents in the Governance Sharepoint site that I'd like to link directly to in my particular Team Channels. If I have a Word document in my Team's sharepoint site I can create a Tab directly to it so that when you click on it, it opens directly in Teams. However I can't seem to do the same with documents in the Governance Sharepoint site. If I go to create a Tab and select Word, it just shows me the files in that channel or in that Team. It won't let me go outside my Team. I've tried adding the Governance Sharepoint site to the Team but it still won't let me link directly to specific documents although I can link to the Document Library itself.

Is it possible to add a tab to a specific document in another Team?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi!
AFAIK you can only tab documents from that Team you are in. I’m not 100% but not at computer right now but if you only can browse that team I’m sure that’s the case!
You can add a website tab and link to that doc url also ( make sure they have access to it)
Also you can add that governance library as a SharePoint library tab! You will get all documents though

Adam
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi!
AFAIK you can only tab documents from that Team you are in. I’m not 100% but not at computer right now but if you only can browse that team I’m sure that’s the case!
You can add a website tab and link to that doc url also ( make sure they have access to it)
Also you can add that governance library as a SharePoint library tab! You will get all documents though

Adam

View solution in original post