SOLVED

Create "Anyone With the Link" for sharing Teams File

Brass Contributor

Dear Community,

A particular Team needs to share some of it's files widely -  outside of the Organization, to a large number of people. These external people are not Guests of the Team. How can I allow this Team to create "Anyone with the Link" sharing for their files?

Many Thanks

5 Replies
This is an upcoming feature in Teams, although already possible if you click “open in SharePoint” and click Share on a file from inside SharePoint.
Also this depends if the organization allows anonymous sharing.

Adam
best response confirmed by Kathleen O'Neill (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I figured it out! I went to the SharePoint Admin Center, and on the Active Sites page, chose the Teams site (blue check mark). At the top, I chose Sharing, and changed the External Sharing setting to "Anyone".

Back in Teams, when I viewed the Team's Files on Sharepoint, I was able to create the "Anyone" link.

I've managed to change settings so the 'anyone with this link' works in general and standard channels, but this does not show in private channels... Any ideas please?

Quick update if you're using the newer SharePoint Admin center...

on the Active Sites page, there is a dropdown filter in the top right of the screen (to the right of the search field). The default for me was "Classic Sites" - which includes my root site. Changing your sharing settings here does nothing for subsites created in teams. Change "Classic Sites" to "Sites connected to Teams". Then, select the site you want to adjust (blue checkmark) and click the Sharing button.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kathleen O'Neill (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I figured it out! I went to the SharePoint Admin Center, and on the Active Sites page, chose the Teams site (blue check mark). At the top, I chose Sharing, and changed the External Sharing setting to "Anyone".

Back in Teams, when I viewed the Team's Files on Sharepoint, I was able to create the "Anyone" link.

View solution in original post