Create a Tab for Shared File Link in Group Chat

Copper Contributor

Our organization has two Teams, but we use a two large group chats for general day to day conversation. I would like to create a tab in the Group Chat for a File that we have shared between the Teams, so members can easily access it from the Group Chat area. Since there is no way to access Shared Folders or Files from a Group Chat (that I know of), any way to access just this one file will suffice, but I cannot figure out how besides to share the link in the chat (which would get lost quickly). Thanks for your help.

2 Replies
You could get a sharing link from SharePoint it Onedrive folder and use a new website tab and paste that link. Make sure the link is restricted to it and anyone otherwise you’ll have to maintain security in the link.

Ideally you really should look at creating teams for both chats for day to day as well. You get the benefits of files and not to mention threaded chats.
I tried that but the link will not load. It just goes to the Microsoft Teams website to login or download teams.

Also, we did create a Teams, but the whole group revolted over how conversations are created within teams. They want just a basic chat, so everyone absolutely hated the individual conversations and replies in the Teams Channels. So I had no other choice but to start a chat for day to day chat, and use Teams Channels for announcements only.