SOLVED

'Copy Link' for Folder/Files does not work in Teams

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

When you access a document library using the website/SharePoint tab and click on 'copy Link' the dialog opens up and has a spinning circle constantly, doesn't load.Teams-CopyLink.gif

145 Replies

@Ugh. Yes, same problem. I think I've been through every solution in this thread (thank you all SO much for your postings!) but no joy yet.

I've gotta walk away for 2 weeks to get over the frustration then I'll attack again!

@Henry Edwards Me Too!  This has been a problem for over a month, although it has worked intermittently in the past week or so (though not working now).  Very frustrating.

Us too.  Our whole organization is down.  Sharepoint workaround works for some and not others and I'm not equipped to troubleshoot sharepoint independently from Teams.  Please fix this microsoft.

And the COPY LINK works fine from an Edge (Beta) browser. Just not the Teams App.
Cheers Eric that is very useful to know but it still does not copy a link to the Teams folder rather than SharePoint. Do you know if that functionality was ever available or did Teams always open SharePoint sites from a link?

@Paul_IQPC The copy link button has always worked to copy links directly within Teams until the last couple of months.  Opening the site from SharePoint is only a workaround.

I found it may help to delete the folder "%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams" in order to rebuild the cash.
No guarantee if this helps for others like it did for me.
Thansks for that - at least I know it doesn't work like it should :)

+1 to this issue.
Clearing cache and all that does not help at all. BUT I use the sharepoint web interface now - this works fine.

Had the same issue for months and just randomly started working for me few days ago...

@Vgrodz 

Hah! At this point, after trying so many things, I'm all-in on the "randomly started working" part!

Hello,

any news from Microsoft?

Mine started working in the last few days
Microsoft acknowledged that it's a known issue for them and they are working to fix it. No ETA at the moment.

@Tadas Burovas Thanks for the update Tadas - but i wouldn't hold you breath for a quick fix. This has been going on for months :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Received this morning from M365 Service Health:
Advisory information
Title: A limited number of users may be unable use "Copy link" in channels to share files in the Microsoft Teams desktop app
ID: TM320472
User impact: Users may be unable to use the "Copy link" option in channels to share files in the Microsoft Teams desktop app.
More info: The affected "Copy link" option can be found in the Files tab within channels.
Current status: We've determined that a timeout issue within the OneDrive for Business sharing link dialog is impacting a limited number of users. We're in the process of developing a fix, which we anticipate will remediate the impact around mid-April 2022.
Scope of impact: A limited number of users attempting to use the "Copy link" option in the Files tab within channels are impacted.
Start time: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, at 12:00 AM UTC
Root cause: A timeout issue within the OneDrive for Business sharing link dialog is impacting a limited number of users.
Next update by: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, at 6:00 AM UTC

@David Schrag thankyou very much for the update.

Exactly the same problem for me; I sure miss putting links in messages to get my users to the exact team channel quickly.

This seems to have started working for us again (knock wood). Hasn't been a problem for me for several days. My guess would be that Microsoft's fix is rolling through its infrastructure.

Similar issue but with a new twist. For Months I've gotten the blank popup box with the eternal spinning wheel. Now all the sudden the "Copy Link" button is completely non-responsive. Click it and get NOTHING. Same behavior on different systems and with different users.