SOLVED

'Copy Link' for Folder/Files does not work in Teams

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

When you access a document library using the website/SharePoint tab and click on 'copy Link' the dialog opens up and has a spinning circle constantly, doesn't load.Teams-CopyLink.gif

145 Replies

Actually, I got the same error two days before, I did all the possible troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue.

i uninstalled and resintalled the teams,
cleared the Teams cache
Recreated the user profile also, still that user got the same issue.

Finally, I Disconnected that user account from the device reimaged that system, and installed office 365 from office.com. Then this issue got resolved.

Fix this issue 

So it is something in the caching of the teams client have you also tried to clear the cache and all folders that are related to teams?
When I cleared the cache some days ago, it would not cure the problem at all.
Why this problem now disappeared (and another has popped up) is beyond my knowledge...
Yup cleared all of these
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\application cache\cache
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\blob_storage
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\databases
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\cache
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\gpucache
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\Indexeddb
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\Local Storage
%AppData%\Microsoft\teams\tmp

@Henry Edwards yep I'm getting the same problem tonight too. Cleared caches: no joy.

Issue still seems to be on going, we have a full team of staff unable to copy link! Tried and tested the information here and on techinsider. Hopefully Microsoft can fix it soon!

Think I've found the solution... I was using the document library app, however if you click on the SharePoint app, then you select the document library that you want, the experience is just like in sharepoint. And the copy link works.
Hi @Henry, I'm not following you completely what you mean with 'document library app' and 'SharePoint app'.? Can you explain what you mean with this?

@Florisz Hi. 

Apologies, it was a quick update, hopefully this will be clearer.

When you go to add an tab, I was using the Document Library Tab I think (Have just tried to use this and it works now), However continue for a better experience. 

HenryEdwards_0-1639425655331.png

I then tried it with the following app, it works using this app:

HenryEdwards_1-1639425733489.png

And you get a better experience:

HenryEdwards_2-1639425781904.png

Hope that helps

Removed cache
reinstalled Teams
Logged out and in

It just stopped working overnight. Don't know if they did an update or something...

No change. HELP. Fix it please!!
Hi, have you tried the alternative way to add a document library above? Does it work with that app?
Hi I tried this but it is does not show the docs in Sharepoint that I am looking for - thx for the idea though
Whereabout are the docs?

@Henry Edwards  Hi Henry I need to be able to link to the folders in Teams not the sharepoint site to which they are linked 

teams.png

Anything I seem to use in SharePoint links back to the Sharepoint directory and this is not where we want users to go. Does that help? 

thanks for trying and cheers

P

Started happening randomly for me today, reboots and cache clear does is not resolve it.  

MS Teams Version 1.4.00.32771 (64-bit)

@Paul_IQPC hmm, So when i click on the folder and then select Copy Link, this takes me to the folder itself.

HenryEdwards_0-1639592719992.png

HenryEdwards_1-1639592746275.pngHenryEdwards_2-1639592763087.png

@Vgrodz Just checking if you have tired adding in the new document library app as mentioned earlier in the post?

Hi @Henry, I looked at both apps, but what they do is just the sharePoint functionality, which works as the 'Copy link' option in SharePoint(=in browser) does not have the problem bug.
So this is a workaround for getting the SharePoint link in Microsoft Teams Desktop app.

The problem/bug of the 'copy link' in the default 'File' tab in Microsoft Teams Desktop Application is still there. To my knowledge this used to give a popup where you could choose between copying the link in/of teams or the link to SharePoint.
For the time being I use the new Onedrive for Business and Teams Progressive Web App(from MS Edge) to use the 'copy link' option and working with files. And the Teams desktop app purely for meetings/calling.

But getting the 'copy link' this way gives you only the link to SharePoint as well. Not the link for/to Teams.

Hi Henry, this workaround works for me. Thanks.
1. is there a way to set the 'Documents' tab on by default for all the Teams that I have on teams?

In missing feedback from MS in this article I've created a support ticket 28883437‎. I will keep you posted with the results.