Contact sync issues with teams

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

I am having a weird issue with Teams pulling down contact details. I think I narrowed it down but need help finding a solution. First it started with when we updated the phone numbers of our users they were showing up in the Teams admin console but wouldn't update on the clients. We figured out we needed to have the users sign out and back in and found that fixed the majority of issues. The remaining issues seem to be if users have a similar contact in their personal contacts in outlook it seems to cause Teams to not want to update from the O365 contact in the cloud. So several users who have been around for a while and have put contacts in their contacts in outlook are not updating. It seems it looks first to the local outlook contacts for the contact cards and stops there. So has anyone seen this issue before and figured out a way to always have the teams client pull contact cards from O365 first and not look anywhere else. 

4 Replies
Hi Chris

Not sure if I understand your situation completely.

What we have noticed in the last few days is that 429 events (too many requests) are happening pretty often whenever the buddylist api is being called by the teams client. (9 out of 10 are failing)

This means that the buddylist can not be synced reliable between clients.

This is for instance the get call: https://teams.microsoft.com/api/mt/emea/beta/contacts/buddyList

I have currently no explanation why only this call gets the 429.....maybe this is related to the topic where MS wants to reduce load on the teams Backend because of the huge load impact ?

Hope this helps a bit
Cheers
Stefan

Our issue is. We updated everyone's phone numbers in Azure AD for them to sync down to the Teams clients so the employees could see everyone's phone number when they hovered over their contact in Teams. It worked for most users. We have noticed an issue with users who have a contact card in their local outlook contacts. Say for instance I have manually put a contact in my outlook for Sue Jane and she also exists in our AD. In teams it wouldn't update the contact and the phone would remain blank. Not until I delete the contact form my outlook and sign out and back into Teams will it update correctly. So it would seem that Teams for some reason is looking at the contact in the local outlook client on the machine and therefore not updating from the contact from the Teams server. I am looking to find if this is a bug or an intended function. If it is intended how can I stop it from happening. Thanks for your earlier reply @Stefan Fried 

Hi @Chris_S017 
Steps are simple:
1- Go to outlook.

2- Click on Address book in the Home bar.
3- Click the first contact.
4- Click on the Shift + down arrow to select all contacts.
5- Click on File.

6- Select Add to contacts.
7- Confirm the steps above by clicking on outlook contacts to make sure if all contacts were synced. 
8- Open Teams and see the Calls/ Contacts list (it might take some time to sync).
DONE, hope this solves your issue. 

Thanks BriAzmi, thats solved the issue.