Combine Microsoft Forms and Microsoft Teams to analyze and document governance

MVP

Have you thought of how easy it is to combine the strengths of Microsoft Forms and Microsoft Teams when you need to analyze and document the services you use in Microsoft 365?

I want to share with you how i do when i, as a consultant, am going to a customer to analyze their current environment and perform a governance workshop.

In this article i use the service OneDrive as an example but regardless of if the topic is SharePoint, Teams, Groups, Yammer etc. you can use it the same way.

In advance i have to have set up my team "Governance Center" (perhaps you already have read that article. If not you can do it so that you see the "big picture") and configured it so that it contains channels and governance plans for each of the services. When i am done with that i create "Survey Forms" for each service. By doing that it gets much easier to facilitate the workshops. I just ask the questions and let the customer fill out the Form(s) during the workshop.

Not only can i focus more on the workshop and reduce the need for taking notes. When the customers representatives fill out the Form (under my supervision) and save it i will have all the answers documented for later use.

Just follow this steps and you will save time and increase the customer experience in the workshop.

Open Microsoft Teams and the team you use as the "Governance Center". Navigate to the channel in which you want the form to be in. (in this example OneDrive).

Go to the channel of the serviceGo to the channel of the service

Add a new Tab and choose "Forms".

Add a formAdd a form

Give the Form a good name and then save it.

Give the form a nameGive the form a name

I often choose "Go to website" in order to get more working space. Press the symbol and it will open in "Forms".

Open the form in a bigger window so you get some spaceOpen the form in a bigger window so you get some space

Now it is time to find the manuscript that you often use in your workshops. (If You do not already have a workshop manuscript it is a good idea to create one. My experience is that it saves you for a lot of time next time you need it)

Open the manuscript that You use for Your workshopsOpen the manuscript that You use for Your workshops

Enter the the questions in the Form. (The details are up to You. Typical basic content is Security, Sharing, Owners, Responsible, Compliance, e.g. GDPR, Routines, Policies, Reporting, Usage, Business goals etc. etc.)

Enter the questions in the formEnter the questions in the form

Complete the form and copy the link to it (You are going to use that later)

Complete the form and copy a link to itComplete the form and copy a link to it

Go back to the Team and add another Tab in the same Channel.

Go back to Teams and add a new tabGo back to Teams and add a new tab

Once again you select "Form" (but this time we want a tab that will show the results of the survey)

Choose form againChoose form again

Choose the Form you recently created and select "Show Results", then You click Save.

Add the existing form but choose Show resultsAdd the existing form but choose Show results

You will now see a Tab that displays the results of the Survey. (And since You have not filled it out Yet it is of course still empty.)

The tab is showing results from the surveyThe tab is showing results from the survey

Now open the Conversations Tab of the channel and write a message to those who are going to participate in the upcoming workshop. Paste the link to the survey in the message. (If You do not want them to start filling out the form before you are together with them, you can wait and instead do it in the beginning of the workshop.)

Paste a link to the form in the channel of the service and mention the upcoming workshops participantsPaste a link to the form in the channel of the service and mention the upcoming workshops participants

Now You are ready to meet the customer (or Your colleagues if You are doing this for your own organization). 

Grab a cup of coffee, enter the meeting room. Ask the customer to bring up his/her screen on the monitor and start asking (and explaining) the questions. Let the customer fill out the form and clarify- and respond to one question at a time. When You are done and have pressed the Send button You can go back to the office.

Perform the workshop and fill out the answers togetherPerform the workshop and fill out the answers together

Back at Your office you can open the team "Governance Center" and walk through all the responses and update the governance plan of the service.

Go back to your office and use the answers to create the Governance plan for the ServiceGo back to your office and use the answers to create the Governance plan for the Service

Repeat the steps above for each of the services and the result will hopefully be a satisfied customer that now has all services well documented and you have been able to fully focus on the workshop instead of taking notes at the same time as you facilitate it.

As you all can see this is no rocket science at all. Just basic functionality put in a context.

I hope You found this tip useful and can save some time for yourself in the future.

Best regards, Magnus

0 Replies