SOLVED

Co-Edit Excel: why get the "File in Use" popup?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have uploaded an excel to a Teams chat and I suppose this excel can be co-edit from the teams members at the same time. 

However, when I open it thru "Open in Excel", I got below popup. What is it? How to avoid it and resolve it? 

iasknlearn_0-1594797675013.png

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

A beginner of Teams

4 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @iasknlearn,

Is the Excel file in xslx format? That is required for enabling co-authoring.

Which Office version you have?

Is Office installed from Microsoft 365 subscription? 

Here you can find a troubleshooting guidance for co-authoring in Office: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/troubleshoot-co-authoring-in-office-bd481512-3f3a-4b6d-b7...

Bear in mind that co-authoring works when you open an Office file using the Office App you get with Office 365...if you are using another Office version (for instance, licensed under volume licensing model) it's not going to work

Hi @Matti Paukkonen,

The excel is in .xlsx format. Is it ok?

I am using excel 2016. I suppose the teams member are using company pc and so it should be an official version. 

Just wonder, is it possible if Member A "open in Excel" while at the same time Member B "open in Excel online" at the same time?

Do I need to suggest all member open the file in the same way? 

I am using excel 2016. I suppose the teams member are using company pc and so it should be an official version.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @iasknlearn,

Is the Excel file in xslx format? That is required for enabling co-authoring.

Which Office version you have?

Is Office installed from Microsoft 365 subscription? 

Here you can find a troubleshooting guidance for co-authoring in Office: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/troubleshoot-co-authoring-in-office-bd481512-3f3a-4b6d-b7...

View solution in original post