Clear Teams Desktop Client Cache

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We are migrating users from Islands mode to Teams Only. The plan is to move 20k users but we have found in a very small pilot that the desktop client doesnt receive new external messages or messages from Internal SfB users. They are there if the user goes to Teams online. 

One example was a user migrated Friday evening and on starting Monday had the issue. Clearing the client cache solved this or waiting about 2-3 more days. Is this common?

As an aside, weve had some users with poor quality or performance issues and things improved by clearing the cache. Strangely one user with 55-96% packet loss was cured by doing this!

It should be built into the app to do this but we will have to deploy a PS script to do the task for the users.

/Jon

5 Replies
Hi! Yeah this is pretty common overall and there’s like 50% chance any issues will be fixed by clearing the cache!

I’d suggest upvoting this uservoice request for a clear cache button:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/34320940-clear-local-cache-but...

Adam

@jon0881 Clearing the cache will speed things up in a migration, but typically people just wait and let it happen over the next couple of days. Getting users to log out and back in to Teams will also make it refresh typically. Last time I was working on an upgrade about 80% of clients updated during the next business day, the rest the day after. We were left with a very small number that didn't switch and managed them through support.

Thanks. I’ve voted but good to hear it’s not just us
Our users wouldn’t accept no IM’s for the migration weekend then 2-3 days during the following week. We’ll have to have a clear cache option
I'd say normally doing a migration on friday the agregations are complete by monday. In some cases not but in my experience in those cases, later on monday