clarification for voice

Brass Contributor

Guys.

I'm just looking for a little clarification on something our client is looking for. 

They currently have their AD infrastructure on prem and will shortly be migrating it into the cloud in its entirety.  They want to adopt phone system using direct routing. is there anything stopping us setting this up using on prem accounts/ sub domains and then migrating those across when they complete their own migration or would this likely cause some crazy issue. 

4 Replies

@Ben_Rooke 

I believe that If you have proper sync between on-premise AD and Azure AD it should not stop you and you can keep users as on-premise managed as long as you needed.  

You just need to keep in mind that users with Phone System needs to be homed as Online users for Teams (ideally Teams Only user) but this is not related to AD user entity.  

@Ben_Rooke 

For direct routing setup you need azure AD, so you can sync object by using AD Connect tool and you can keep your OnPrem directory.

Direct routing can achieve on teams only mode and you need SBC to setup direct routing ( you can deploy in onprem DC or you can choose Virtual SBC as well, Azure have option to setup virtual SBC), if you are also opting phone license with MS then need to assign phone license, if you are opting external DID's or then you need to manually assign number to user.   

Thanks Rakesh.

What i really need to clarify is that online accounts will not interfere with a clients migration from on prem AD infrastructure to O365 online.

We want to insist that the accounts created for phone system are set up in O365 online. prior to their migration. this will also include the domain for our SBC..

I just need confirmation for them that this will not cause an issue surrounding ADFS etc...

HI @Ben_Rooke,

I have recently setup this exact scenario for our users.
Once the Direct Routing is setup (lots of PowerShell) it works fine. There are some quirks since the Admin GUI for Teams still needs some updating to see everything but using PowerShell solves this.
Once you have your users replicated to Azure AD via Azure AD Connect you can start assigning numbers to users. This has no effect on their normal access..

If you would like some help/guidance, drop me a line.

Best regards,

Paul