SOLVED

Chat not available after switching from skype for business

Copper Contributor

Hi everybody,

we have a problem since we switched from skype for business to teams a few days ago (Office 365). "Chat" is not available in teams (we have tested the web client as well as the windows app). Also clearing the teams cache on the client didn't do the trick. We have activated chat functionality in the teams admin page and set everything to teams only.

Currently we are not able to do conference calls, display contacts or send chat messages.

Develtie_0-1587995200732.png

Develtie_0-1587995821213.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Daniel

8 Replies
Hi @Develtie

Can you check the following

1.) Your user is set to Teams Only in the Teams Admin Centre
2.) Chat is set to on in the Messaging Policy which is applied to you in the Teams Admin Centre
3.) Are you using Exchange Online? Has a mailbox been enabled?

Let me know.

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

Thanks for your answer!

I've checked your suggestions:

1) I did not found a user specific setting for "teams only". We have only a company wide setting, which was already set to "teams only" (as mentioned above)

2) Chat is set to "on" in messaging policy. This policy is also assigned to all users.

3) Yes we use exchange online (O365) with 3 Mailboxes

Thanks

Daniel

@Develtie 

there are 2 settings that you need to check on your Teams Admin Center > Teams Apps

Teams Apps > permission policies > maybe you have 1 or more policy check the one that is active org-wide policy inside make sure Microsoft Apps is set to Allows all apps. or if specific apps Chat needs to be added there.

Teams Apps > Setup policies> maybe you have 1 or more policies check the one that is the active org-wide policy and in Pinned Apps make sure to add Chat.

@Develtie  check-out this and reply to us with your feedback!

best response confirmed by Develtie (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Also, as you have just done the move, it has been known to sometimes have issues

See here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/grant-csteamsupgradepolicy?view=skype-ps

Use the Skype Powershell module on each user, log out, clear the cache and back in and see if that works

Again, let us know how this goes

Best, Chris

@PDostiyar 

Thanks for your answer!

I've checked these settings as mentioned. All apps are allowed in our global policy (which is assigned to all users). 

All microsoft (as well as all other apps) are allowed already. Also the Chat App is pinned already:

Develtie_0-1587998701258.png

Regards

Daniel

@Christopher Hoard 

Hi Chris,

thanks for the hint. I've set each user to TeamsOnly via skype power shell as mentioned. No success. Chat ist still not available in Teams.

Develtie_1-1588001770406.png

In addition i have to say, that i am more an average user than a admin. So figuring that power shell thing out was not easy for me....:smile:

Hope you have still ideas to get this fixed.....

Thanks

Daniel

It can take up to 24 hours to propagate. Let me know tomorrow after logging out completely and back in again. If this doesn't work we will go from there

Thanks for all your actions so far

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

Hi Chris,

just want to let you know, that after a few hours everything works fine. So the solution was:

1) Installing the Skype for Business PowerShell

2) Open Windows PowerShell ISE in Admin Mode

3) Connect to Skype account using following code (enter your admin credentials):

Import-Module SkypeOnlineConnector
$userCredential = Get-Credential
$sfbSession = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $userCredential
Import-PSSession $sfbSession

4) Do this for every single User:

Grant-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy -PolicyName UpgradeToTeams -Identity mike@contoso.com

6) Wait a few hours

Thanks again for your support!

Regards

Daniel

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Develtie (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Also, as you have just done the move, it has been known to sometimes have issues

See here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/grant-csteamsupgradepolicy?view=skype-ps

Use the Skype Powershell module on each user, log out, clear the cache and back in and see if that works

Again, let us know how this goes

Best, Chris

View solution in original post