SOLVED

chat list function

Iron Contributor

recently find some of our users have a chat list for 3 month, and most of them have 1 month

anyone could help me some of these Q?

1, how long should this list in tab "chat" by designed?

2, why we have 2 senses even we have never set anything about it

3, could that be longer as the mailbox function exchange/outlook? when you roll down to the bottom, it will load/tell you could load more. these conversation actually in a invisible folder in mailbox and could be searched in chat, why can't that load in chat. I can see any retention/privacy confliction

4, any MS instruction/KB for this function?

Untitled.png

4 Replies
best response confirmed by AnqB0VVRJMzsO6zV (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@AnqB0VVRJMzsO6zV 

I can't remember the exact formula, but the time cut off is related to the number of conversations, the aim is to give lists of about 100 conversations whether you talk to lots of people or fewer.

It only effects what's in your view however, once a conversation leaves the list all the history will still be there if you start a conversation again with that person/people. You can also find it using the recently improved search experience.

I'm not sure why it would be beneficial to have a list that grows, this isn't email.

we both know they storage under exchange-conversation history kind of like emails:rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:
you know in SFB period, perople could find this chat list in exchange by themselves(at least in the companies I have been)

and you know the function "search" is not that good(top hits and search page is getting better, but not enough)
currently we even face the search problem which MS said may caused by roadmap Feature ID: 66583(still under investation, symptom is sometimes no search results, sometimes results
are different from web-desktop-phone): difference make the search untrusted
People need a second way to see their information: to normal people, seeing is believing, and even more chat is the fundation of search

and sometimes, for example, this time, list view is useful like
"oh, I remember I talked with someone last month but I forgot the name and no search result"-"let me check SFB"
-"Oh, it's teams now"-"what?I can search them but can't see them in the list? am I the reader for my own information or not, I miss SFB"

@AnqB0VVRJMzsO6zV 

Skype for Business worked in a very different way. Each conversation only lasted a limited amount of time then a copy was persisted into the mailbox under conversation history. Teams is not the same, conversations do not have a start and a stop. There is a copy of each message stored in the mailbox but that's there for eDiscovery purposes, and isn't accessible for the user. The Teams database itself holds the active threads not the mailbox.

The search experience is fine, if there is currently an open incident effecting you tenant then I'm sure Microsoft will be publishing their status investigating it. Do bear in mind that there are 250 million monthly active users for Teams, and search doesn't come up as a major issue often.

As a manager or engineer, I agree with you.
but you know as a user, they just care about experience, as individual normal people. they don't care about number, percent, management.
that's why there are web for feedback and you know sometimes uservoice is power

summary:
description: people get more from search than chat list view
confliction: didn't find any KB from Microsoft to explain how these two ways runs

my suggestion is:
1,we can keep the current way, but add a button like" load one month more"
2, or we can just search the information in the chat(don't recommend)
IT create things, to serve normal people, who has power

anyway, thank you Collier,
I will try to find Microsoft KB for "the time cut off is related to the number of conversations, the aim is to give lists of about 100 conversations whether you talk to lots of people or fewer."
let them make vote on usersvoice and feedback portal as usual,
you know people will buy it
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AnqB0VVRJMzsO6zV (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@AnqB0VVRJMzsO6zV 

I can't remember the exact formula, but the time cut off is related to the number of conversations, the aim is to give lists of about 100 conversations whether you talk to lots of people or fewer.

It only effects what's in your view however, once a conversation leaves the list all the history will still be there if you start a conversation again with that person/people. You can also find it using the recently improved search experience.

I'm not sure why it would be beneficial to have a list that grows, this isn't email.

View solution in original post