SOLVED

Chat is visible to users who declined a Teams meeting invitation

Steel Contributor

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon a Teams meeting behaviour which I did not really pay attention to until I was asked.

It is not an issue or problem, the question is, is the following behaviour by design? And did it change recently?

We noticed the following:

• if someone gets a Microsoft Teams meeting invitation,
  • the person declines the invitation
  • the person still gets access to the declined Teams meeting chat.
  • the person who declined will see when the Teams meeting takes places
  • the person who declined will see if someone who attends the meeting starts to chat
  • the person who declined will still be able to join the Teams meeting.
  • Users are on Exchange Online and Teams-only
  • Users are internal ones

Is this behaviour by design?

And did this behaviour change recently or did I just not notice this before?

Is this anyhow adjustable? Any configuration option for this? Yet, I haven't found one.

BR,

Erik

8 Replies
Just because I was busy and had to decline the meeting does not mean that I shouldn't be able to see the conversation or maybe watch the recording
@erik365: We noticed this too.
@Ed Woodrick: OK, but if I'm invited to a meeting which I don't care about at all, then I don't want to bothered by the conversation chat.

Is there really no way to adjust settings here?
best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Solution
Try leaving the chat. You can also mute the meeting chat, so you are not constantly being notified.
Ok, thank you. This means it works like that by design.
Of course you can just leave the chat. I'm missing the option to not add users in the first place!
Yes, I'm also really annoyed at work by some meetings I definitely don't care about.
If anyone from Microsoft reads this, it would be really appreciated if you provide with a slider in options for meeting not to pop-up when they are declined in calendar.

@Milkinho  I wonder if this happens with the Q&A options?

Microsoft, please give the meeting organizer the option to turn off people automatically seeing the chat for meetings they decline. We have optional department-wide meetings, and folks complain about seeing the chat after they decline. Yes, they can leave the chat if they wish, but this is 100+ people having to take an action AFTER they get unwanted chat notifications, rather than just giving the meeting organizer the option to click a box to turn off auto-enrollment in the chat for those who decline meetings. It's an ongoing complaint we hear and it would be GREAT if you could offer a fix!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Solution
Try leaving the chat. You can also mute the meeting chat, so you are not constantly being notified.

View solution in original post