Chat history when added during a group call

Copper Contributor

On Teams, I use a group with two coworkers to chat. I have initiated a call from this group. During the call, I have added two other coworkers. 

Have these two new coworkers accessed all the chat history which happened before the call?

Normally, when you add someone to a  group, you need to select if you would like to share the chat history, but this choice doesn't appear when you add someone during a call.

At the end of the call, the two new coworkers appear in the group, (I have removed them) but I don't know if they had access to the prior chat conversation.

9 Replies
Interesting scenario! I do believe they don’t have access to anything prior to they being added by default. But I guess testing it out is appropriate to make sure

Dear @wapiti99,

I have just tested this scenario out on my site with one of my colleagues. 

When adding a third person to the group chat call, the third person is not able to see the previous chat of the group. The person is only able to see the chat messages that will be exchanged during their existence in the group chat. So when you remove this person from the chat afterwards and readd them a second time by calling them (maybe the next day), they still only see the chat massages that were exchanged during the time when they were in the conference call the first time.   

I hope this helps. 

Greets,
Markus  

This caught me off guard. I still haven’t seen an article on the subject, but I have definitely stressed about this exact situation. Given the optionality as to including chat history when properly adding a new member to a group, I imagine that adding a participant to a video call doesn’t default include any historical chat (or any?). Would love some official confirmation and even more detail.

Ideally, we learn that outside users added to a video call initiated from within a group are never actually members of that group during the call. For instance, to apply your example further, do you think the two non-group users had group membership based permissions to shared files and resources?

Not an IT guy. Just curious.
No worries here. If being on a chat with someone and adding a third to join in a call there's a new chat created in the background where this new person is being added to (so in this scenario they are now three) no history of the initial chat between the two. If using "add people" from the chat itself then you get the option to include chat history or not.

When comes to chat access in general and chat in meetings this is the official article.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/chat-in-a-teams-meeting-64e2cb91-8a11-4781-94ea-fbb23f2b9...
Good to know that Markus, I have an extension to this situation. With your testing, we got clarification how much the third person can access the chat history. If that third person added a new person after the call ended and gave permission to the fourth person to access the chat history, let's say 1 day chat history, can the 4th person be able to see the chat after the third person's existence or from the beginning? Has anyone encountered this situation?

@wapiti99 

I encountered this same scenario, and it was not good. 

I have long-running threads with colleagues A, B, C, A&B, A&B&D, etc. 

I started a video call with A, by clicking the call button in the existing text chat thread with A. We decided that we should talk to B and C. I clicked the people icon and invited B and C to join us. We talked. It was fine.

Afterwards, I found that Teams had added C to a pre-existing thread I had with A&B. 

Now, if I click the members of the thread and try to remove C, it says,

"Are your sure you want to remove C? C will still have access to the chat history." 

Whaaat? So it appears that when you invite people to a video chat, Teams makes some decision about the best-matched existing chat group, and adds the extra people, without asking if they should have access to the chat history. 

The more I think about that, the more I think I don't know how to use Teams safely. 

@ChristianJBergstrom, I can't find any Microsoft articles that specifically cover this. Can you please assist?

@Markus_95 I would like to know, is the previous chat history visible on the Teams phone app ?? 

On the desktop it's showing, the message has been read by 2 , however on the phone app, it's showing its been read by 4. So which one is correct? I am bit confused as I want to know if someone has actually read the previous chat history or not . Please reply 

Very very annoying issue. We are in a call spawned from a small char group, but pull people in as needed. All these other folks get added to the group from then on and I have to remember to manually go and remove them afterwards. Again like mentioned, I dont know if the history has been shared with them.

Issues:
1. Flow is non intuitive - adding someone to a call need not add them to the group chat
2. Does the history get shared with the new folks
3. Need to remember to manually take them off. If forgotten, then they might access information that was not intended for them!