SOLVED

Changes to Teams meeting recordings for EDU A1 & “Recording failed to upload to Stream” error

Microsoft

Hello everyone - I wanted to post a note about a change for Microsoft 365 Education A1 customers which went into effect this week.  This message was posted on the M365 Admin Message Center back on 21-July-2020 as MC218976 (pasted at the bottom of this post), but I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the change.

In summary, Teams meeting recordings initiated by an A1 licensee will no longer automatically upload to Microsoft Stream. Note that A1 customers can still record Teams meetings, meeting attendees can download and watch the recording, and the recording can be uploaded to Stream, Teams, SharePoint, or OneDrive (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/portal-upload-teams-meeting-recording).  

Additionally, as this is rolling out, some customers have reported seeing “Recording failed to upload to Stream” errors, while others are not.  Our apologies for this misleading error message. When this A1 change went live, an update to the message logic and text shown was being rolled out, but it has not reached all M365 users yet. This will be resolved in the upcoming days when the update reaches all customers.

If you have any other questions or comments, please post them below.

------------------------------------------------------------

For customers with EDU A1 and A1 Plus licenses, Teams meeting recordings will no longer automatically upload to Microsoft Stream effective August 20, 2020. 

Key points

• Timing: August 20, 2020
  • Roll-out: tenant level
  • Control type: user control
  • Action: review and assess

How this will affect your organization

This change is expected to last through the end of 2020, and Microsoft will provide updates for further changes. Meetings recorded before August 15 are not affected by this change.

Following this change, your end users will continue to be able to record Teams meetings.

• To playback the meeting recording, participants will need to download the file from the chat window.
  • To share or archive a recording, meeting participants will need to download the file and then upload it to Teams, Stream, SharePoint, or OneDrive.

Meeting recordings will be available in the meeting chat for a period of 21 days after the meeting. After 21 days, the meeting recordings will no longer be available for download from the chat.

The download dialog includes the expiration date.

img.png

What you need to do to prepare

Review the change and consider how to advise your end users of the change. Learn how to upload a video to Stream.

------------------------------------------------------------

55 Replies

@descapa_msft 

Thanks Daniel, I have changed my license to A3 and yes the feature is back. However, A3 license is not available for free. So this may be a setback to some users. Personally, I do not expect everything to come free considering the quality of the product. But it must be on par with the competition. 

This discussion brought up an interesting point. That all students actually have the ability to download the recordings onto their computers. There is currently no way to stop students from downloading the recordings. I'm not sure how many teachers actually know this. I think this is a big problem. I have spoken to MS support regarding this. They inform me that this is the current status and there is no way to stop attendees from downloading the recordings. Anyone has any workaround? 

Thanks folks! This is am amazing community here!

Gary

@garyang Thank you for confirming that there isn't a way to stop students downloading the videos, that was our (and I am pretty sure everyone's) main issue. I will pass this onto the head of our IT department who is also currently looking for a work around; if he finds something I will post it here.

@Christir86 Hi Rachel, would you mind describing how you work with the meetings and recordings? Just trying to figure out the way of working to see what can be done at this point.

In another conversation I suggested that they (staff) perhaps could be more selective as who can start and record a meeting (using Teams meeting policy). And if applicable be more restrictive when scheduling meetings, such as do all need to be invited to this etc. If you apply a similar approach then you have selected individuals who can start a recording of the meetings and also manage the recording in Teams. Meaning they can download it and then upload it to Stream manually and set the appropriate permissions in Stream. Would that work?

@ChristianBergstrom We as of yet haven't had the need to set up anything for class recordings thankfully, but for staff meetings I have done the following:

• Downloaded the video from the staff team and named it appropriately.
  • In my admin account on Stream, I have then created a new channel called Staff Meetings within the Team the video came from and then uploaded the video to that new channel.
  • In the Team, I then create a new Stream tab that will then show the videos like a playlist.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to find a way to delete the video from the meeting message in the Teams, so that would still leave it there for students to download.

@Christir86 I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing a nuclear option for teaching would be to create disposable channels for each meeting where you download the recording yourself and then proceed to delete the channel. Other people could download the recording in that time window and you'd have to make sure the recording was dowloaded correctly before deleting the channel and such, but at least the recording wouldn't be there in the chat forever. Making a private channel and then kicking everyone out after the meeting would be another (more cumbersome) option. 

Both of these options are way too much hassle for what they provide, but I'm guessing they could work for some cases. Getting Microsoft to address this issue directly would be way better, but hey, it doesn't look like it's on their radar. 

@TechyMiller it would be in the message chat in Teams.  After any recording in Teams you see the link to the recording in that chat (for a 1:1 call or a meeting or a channel meeting).  If you need anything else please let us know.

@mesantelli the team is aware of customers asking about delete and are working on addressing this set of feedback.  

@CristianLondono note that Stream doesn't support rights management so anyone can get the content of a video recording and repurpose it.  Clearly not allowing download makes this more difficult and if this is needed then please have those educators move to an A3 license and then content will go to Stream.

@descapa_msft "the team is aware of customers asking about delete and are working on addressing this set of feedback." That is great news!

Hi @descapa_msft !

Is there any possiblity to delete videos from within MS Teams application (those videos that show in MS Teams app but not in Stream).

Thank you!

Dorin

@streamline55 Hi, I'm afraid that is not possible. I would like to inform about the changes for recordings in Stream/Teams to OneDrive/SharePoint https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/changes-to-meeting-recordings-saved-to-onedri...

@ChristianBergstrom , Thank you! (I have already read that, but thanks for pointing it to me).

@streamline55 the Teams team is looking into this and trying to address this in a future update which will rollout to customers.  Thanks for the feedback.

@descapa_msft Hello Daniel, would you mind elaborate on that reply as "..some time in early 2021 we'll require all customers to use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for new meeting recordings."

Hi @descapa_msft 

Now that recordings can now go into one drive. I believe that all members have read access to the recordings from the meeting. Is there a way to give members no access as we don't want them to view the recording. Only want the owner to be able to view/edit. 

If there is can you show me how to implement this!

Thanks

I wanted to make sure everyone who was interested in this that they saw our new Teams meeting recoding experience where recordings will be saved to OneDrive for Business & SharePoint.   You can learn more about it here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/tmr-meeting-recording-change

As mentioned in the document & video we are starting to roll this out here at the start of the quarter.  If you have EDU A1 licenses and want to have recordings saved automatically, to SharePoint/OneDrive, please opt into this new experience listed on the site above.  Thank you and please send us the feedback you have.

@ChristianBergstrom yes of course, moving forward we will have all Team meeting recordings saved to OneDrive for Business & SharePoint, and they will not be stored on the separate Stream service.  You can read more about it here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/tmr-meeting-recording-change

And this is related to the new Stream changes announced at Ignite: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-blog/a-new-vision-for-microsoft-stream/ba-p/...

If you have any other questions please let us know!  Cheers

@AB21805 related to this:

Now that recordings can now go into one drive. I believe that all members have read access to the recordings from the meeting. Is there a way to give members no access as we don't want them to view the recording. Only want the owner to be able to view/edit. 

If there is can you show me how to implement this!

The experience is setup that everyone who was in the meeting has access to view the recording, the file isn't read access to everyone in the organization but only those who were on the meeting invite.  This is similar to how classic Stream works for Teams meeting recordings.  

If you have any other questions please let us know!

@descapa_msft Hi Daniel, I noticed the page has been updated accordingly. Thanks for your reply!

Hi @descapa_msft 

Ok, as we do teams meetings usually with a students we don't want them to access the recording. The work around I found which is ok to do in the short term is stop sharing once presenter goes into their onedrive. With Stream we actually disabled this for students by taking away the license for it as we didn't want them accessing it either.