SOLVED

Changes to meeting recordings - saved to OneDrive and SharePoint instead of Stream.

Silver Contributor

Hello!

This is a rather big change and something I just want to send a heads up to all. Obviously it's posted in Message center (MC222640) and this is a copy/paste of the information for those who don't have access.

--------------

We’re changing the storage for new Teams meeting recordings to be stored on, and served from, OneDrive and SharePoint (ODSP) - instead of Microsoft Stream (Classic). Customers are able to opt in, opt out, or take no action with regard to these changes.

This change will apply to customers who either opt in or take no action following this announcement.

Key points:

• Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID: 67138
  • Timing:
    • Early October (October 5, 2020) – You can enable the Teams Meeting policy to have meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint instead of Microsoft Stream (Classic)
    • End of October (October 31, 2020) – Meeting recordings in OneDrive and SharePoint will have support for English captions via the Teams transcription feature.
    • Early to mid-November (Rolling out between November 1 -15 , 2020) – All new Teams meeting recordings will be saved to OneDrive and SharePoint unless you delay this change by modifying your organization’s Teams Meeting policies and explicitly setting them to “Stream”
    • Q1 2021 – No new meeting recordings can be saved to Microsoft Stream (Classic); all customers will automatically have meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint even if they’ve changed their Teams meeting policies to Stream”
  • Rollout: Tenant level
  • Control: Admin via PowerShell

How this will affect your organization:

This change impacts your organization in several ways:

• New features

The move to ODSP immediately unlocks long-awaited features including external and guest sharing, retention policy application (https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/compliance/apply-retention-labels-automatically), GoLocal support, and BYOK support for customers, with improved transcription quality, speaker attribution, transcript content search, and other features to follow in CY2021.

• Meeting storage

Non-Channel meetings will be stored in the OneDrive of the person who clicked the record button in a special folder labeled “Recordings” – that sits at the top of the recorder’s OneDrive. Channel meetings will be stored in a folderlabeled “Recordings” under a folder named after the channel under the Team’s document library.

• Permissions

All meeting invitees - except for external users – in non-channel meetings will automatically get a shared link to access the meeting recording. External users will need to be explicitly added to the shared list by the meeting organizer or the person that clicked the record button. For Channel meetings, permissions will be inherited from the owners and members list in the channel.

• Feature gaps

The following gaps exist today:

• Ability to block download of the video by meeting participants
    • Ability to view and edit the transcript in the player, but closed captions will be present
    • Non-English language transcripts/captions
    • Variable playback speed in video player

Transcript timeframe search (e.g., to find a specific point in time when something was discussed)

What you need to do to prepare:

Customers are able to opt in, opt out, or take no action with regard to these changes. Changes in this communication will apply to customers who either opt in or take no action.

Tenant admins can opt in or opt out of OneDrive and SharePoint as the Teams meeting recording storage location via a Teams policy in PowerShell. Additionally, customers who wish to have captions for their meetings will need to enable transcript recording in Teams.

In Q1 CY2021, saving Teams meeting recordings to Microsoft Stream (Classic) will no longer be allowed​. Precise dates will be communicated in a subsequent post.

Learn more: Use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint or Stream for meeting recordings

82 Replies

I really like this feature since I am using office 365 education A1 recorded meetings are no longer uploaded to Streams, but I have one concern though.

Lets say a teacher recorded a meeting and it was uploaded to SharePoint. If the permissions are inherited that means students can delete the video. Members can Edit.

Is my thought process true, and if true can you make the recordings folders only editable for the recorder and only Read for others. Similar to class materials

Best Regards@ChristianBergstrom 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@EmileRec Hello! I haven't had a chance to try this so I can't say anything about the inheritance and if they can actually delete the recording. But it's a good question and the official docs aren't clear about it.

In your scenario you're using a channel meeting and permissions are inherited from the owners and members list in the channel as per this description.

Who has the permissions to view the meeting recording?

• For non-Channel meetings, all meeting invitees, except for external users, will automatically get a personally shared link. External users will need to be explicitly added to the shared list by the meeting organizer or the person who started the meeting recording.
  • For Channel meetings, permissions are inherited from the owners and members list in the channel.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/tmr-meeting-recording-change#frequently-asked-questi...

Then you have a couple of disclaimers saying:

• "Only the organizer of the meeting (non-channel) and the person who started the recording will be able to edit the recording. But everyone invited to the meeting will be able to view the recording."

• "In Q1 of 2021, only the meeting recorder and organizer will be able to download the meeting recording. All other attendees will only be able to view it."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/play-and-share-a-meeting-recording-in-teams-7d7e5dc5-9ae4...

So I suppose you have to edit the permissions when recording a channel meeting (SharePoint) as the permissions are inherited. At least for now.

Thanks for your reply.

One more question. If I opt in will the recordings folders automatically be generated in SharePoint so I can edit Permissions ? Or should I wait for at least one recording to happen for initialisation@ChristianBergstrom 

@ChristianBergstrom  Hi, Does this mean that all Teams videos will now be processed by the Azure Media Services instead ? If so what are the plans for this service to not just be hosted in the US ?

Thanks

One thing to be aware of is that these recording will come out of your existing SharePoint Online and OneDrive for business storage allowances.

Video records are far larger than other media and average about 400MB per hour. So quotas will be used up much quicker.

Microsoft have announced that next year they will add in a setting in the Teams Admin setting to set a default expiration of 60 days for teams meeting recordings with owners being able to change thins in addition to being able to user retention policies if you have E5 compliance.

@EmileRec Hi, as mentioned I haven't tried it yet but from a logic point of view I'm pretty sure the recordings folder will be generated when the recording is being initialized.

@Meven3001 Previously, if not being licensed for Stream the recording storage was the "Teams cloud storage" (Azure Media Services) and only available for 21 days. From now on (soon at least) it's OneDrive and SharePoint. You can read more about it here https://petri.com/stream-moves-sharepoint

Will it still be possible to download the transcript of recorded meetings?

@ChristianBergstrom We currently control our external access to OneDrive and SharePoint by domain only. Will we continue to do that or will it just be opened up?

@Julie_Biery1 Hello! I can't imagine that your external settings would be affected, and that is also confirmed as the official docs says:

• For non-Channel meetings, all meeting invitees, except for external users, will automatically get a personally shared link. External users will need to be explicitly added to the shared list by the meeting organizer or the person who started the meeting recording.

• For Channel meetings, permissions are inherited from the owners and members list in the channel.

You could always try a recording to experience the behavior in a real use case scenario.

@ChristianBergstrom 

Thanks for the information! It has a load of benefits to change to OneDrive and SP, however I still have questions on storage and the lifecycle of Stream :

• If all video's are stored in OD and SP, that means Personal storage and Tenant storage will increase. Will MS enlarge the basic storage capacitiy? 
  • If Stream is no longer the video hub for enterprises, will this be decommissioned in the future? 

Thanks for your feedback @ChristianBergstrom 

Much appreciated ! ;) 

@ChristianBergstrom What happens to the old recordings in Stream, once the move is made to ODSP? Will teachers still have access to their old Stream videos? Will their old Stream videos be automatically moved over to ODSP?

Thanks!

Amy

Sorry, didn’t see your question until now.

”If you plan on deprecating adding to Stream, will existing videos stay as is and for how long?

Stream as a platform won't be deprecated in the near future. The videos that currently live in Stream will stay there until we start migrating. Upon migration, those videos will be migrated to OneDrive for Business or SharePoint as well. Check https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/classic-migration for more information.”

@ChristianBergstrom I think a limitation has been missed off. What about the ability to trim a meeting recording?

Hi, will come but not until ~Q1 2021 as far as I know. In other words a couple of functionality gaps right now.

I have a couple of questions. I've opted into the change so I can preview the features ahead of a wider rollout.

1) There doesn't appear to be a natural way for external users to request access to meeting recordings. As an external user, when clicking on a recording within the meeting chat, I am presented with a Stream error 'Looks like there is an issue'. With the request access flow feature, I would assume external users would be presented with a screen to request access.

2) Meeting captions/transcript are not available. I understand that captions are not available in preview, but what exactly does this mean? If our tenant opts in to the OneDrive recording experience this year, are we technically previewing it? Will this leave us with a features gap where both captions and transcript on recordings are unavailable?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@EmileRec Hello! I haven't had a chance to try this so I can't say anything about the inheritance and if they can actually delete the recording. But it's a good question and the official docs aren't clear about it.

In your scenario you're using a channel meeting and permissions are inherited from the owners and members list in the channel as per this description.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/tmr-meeting-recording-change#frequently-asked-questi...

Then you have a couple of disclaimers saying:

• "Only the organizer of the meeting (non-channel) and the person who started the recording will be able to edit the recording. But everyone invited to the meeting will be able to view the recording."

• "In Q1 of 2021, only the meeting recorder and organizer will be able to download the meeting recording. All other attendees will only be able to view it."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/play-and-share-a-meeting-recording-in-teams-7d7e5dc5-9ae4...

So I suppose you have to edit the permissions when recording a channel meeting (SharePoint) as the permissions are inherited. At least for now.

View solution in original post