Change theme of Teams meeting when joining and in a meeting

Copper Contributor

Hi!

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the black background / dark theme when you click 'Join' for a meeting??  I have a user who has reported that it is difficult to read and I've searched but can't find a way to change it.

EDIT: How to disable dark mode in Teams Meetings completely when the default setting is used (the light version)

RMD2021_0-1662461045531.png

7 Replies

@RMD2021  It's not possible to change this colour. Why would you want to?

Because my user has reported that they find it very difficult to read the white writing on the black screen. Personal preference I guess same as people choosing dark mode over light mode, brightness of screen etc.
What about changing the theme being used in the Teams client?
So they use the default team theme. I think all Teams meetings however go straight to dark mode regardless of what mode they have set. I can't see any way to change it. I guess the issue isn't just the join screen, all the settings when you are in a meeting are in dark mode. Chatting, reactions and sharing icons are all white on black.

Any solution from Microsoft? I feel the dark theme is really annoying and there is no way to change it...I have to use it everyday for working...  fr@RMD2021 

Hi there,

Yes it's not clear why the meeting window is in permanent dark theme when the main window follows the theme set in the Teams settings interface. There are people asking about this since 2020 at least and while I see it's been raised as a feature request I can't see any progress on implementing it.

There is a general tendency in UI design where screens that show video/picture content are dark around it, like in a cinema etc, to optimise the presentation, but there are a sizeable number of people who find reading the white text/buttons on a dark background either uncomfortable or not possible at all. And to find that there's still no way for us to set the dark/light mode for just the meeting pop out window when the main Teams window does, seems a little weird.

Watching a bright square in a sea of darkness is preferred for best media experience but it puts a strain on eyes that adjust for a dark environment but then strain to look at a bright point in the middle of it.

Please Microsoft, can you make light mode possible on the pop out meeting window? Thanks for your help.

@Steven Collier  we want to change it because dark mode sucks. stupid question.