SOLVED

Change avatar blocked - block list - non-admin

Copper Contributor

We have the enabled group policy with a block word list.  Works great to restrict non-admin users from creating a team with one of those words in the name.  Our admins can create teams with a restricted word in the name on the behalf of our users.  We'll then assign the teams owners to the site.

The issue is the non-admin team site owners can not change the site's avatar.  They get an error there's a word in the name that's in the block list.

4 Replies
Now that is an interesting quirk of blocked words.

Let me have a play and get back to you.

Thanks

Henry
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @jimatbutler ,

OK, so here goes.

I thought I could find a method of getting round this by going to the SharePoint site that backs the Team and setting the site image. I was able to do this but the image did not initially take effect in Teams. I think it might have done if I had given it some time.

If you are not feeling like time in on your side, check this out. I then went to set the image again within Teams and it worked. Not sure if it was a fluke but feel free to give it a go.

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech Thanks for the work around.  I have changed the image in SharePoint for my test site.  Waiting to see if it refreshes the image in Teams.

Do you or anyone else know if this is a bug that Microsoft will be addresses?

Hi @jimatbutler ,

I couldn't comment but if nothing else despite it sounding like a bug I would be tempted to report it via: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/ but phrase it has a want.

Failing that you could raise it via support process from the M365 Admin Centre.

Thanks

Henry

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @jimatbutler ,

OK, so here goes.

I thought I could find a method of getting round this by going to the SharePoint site that backs the Team and setting the site image. I was able to do this but the image did not initially take effect in Teams. I think it might have done if I had given it some time.

If you are not feeling like time in on your side, check this out. I then went to set the image again within Teams and it worked. Not sure if it was a fluke but feel free to give it a go.

Thanks

Henry

View solution in original post