Cant pop out meetings from teams chat

Copper Contributor

We can no longer have a team meeting/ call separate from the main Teams. 

If I need to go to my chats, the meeting will reduce to a small box so I cant view teams chats and the meeting at the same time. 

I also don't have the option to see all attendees cameras while someone or myself is presenting.

This "update" makes it extremely difficult to do our job now as we often need to have teams chats open and the meeting on another screen. 

Is there ANY way around this? I went through all settings and did not find anything to have everything show the original way. 

Below are the only options we now have in teams. 

9akelly_0-1659364807069.png

9akelly_1-1659364811951.png

Below is an example of what I see if I click into Teams while in a meeting. 

9akelly_2-1659364855392.png

22 Replies

Hi @9akelly 

The meeting screenshots here kinda looks like you are using the web app at https://teams.microsoft.com - accessed through a browser such as Chrome, Edge etc. 

If you want to pop conversation and separate screens for calling you need to use the Teams Desktop App. This should be on your desktop and available via the Start Menu. You can also download it here

Download Microsoft Teams Desktop and Mobile Apps | Microsoft Teams

Hope that answers your question. Whilst the Desktop App and Web App are similar the desktop app has lots more functionality - the functionality you describe

Best, Chris

Good Afternoon,

That was actually from the desktop app that those screen shots were taken.

@9akelly 

Thanks for replying back. 

Wow, that's weird. That meeting experience, with the bar across the centre is the current web experience but some time back was the old desktop experience - at least on Windows. Are you using Windows?

Best, Chris

We are on Windows 11 Enterprise

@9akelly 

Hmm ok. I would run through the following

1.) Sign out of Teams and back in again and see if that resolves it. 

2.) If not, Sign out of Teams and clear the cache: Clear Teams cache - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs and then sign back in

3.) If not, uninstall the Teams Desktop App and Reinstall. 

Can you confirm back if any of these manage to resolve it?

Best, Chris

Hey there,

So I did all of the things above. I am still getting the same results.

9akelly_0-1659387547767.png

@9akelly 

Thanks for providing the screenshot, just tested, that is the minimised version of the meeting. Right Click on the Teams Icon at the bottom of the screen, you should be able to select the full meeting screen and the minimised version

ChristopherHoard_0-1659388573419.png

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

If you hit the Share Button (between the mic and the phone) it should pop to being the full meeting screen too :) Just found that!

ChristopherHoard_0-1659388745035.png

Yes, the minimized screen is when I click into my main chat screen, that houses all chats. If I make the meeting/call large again it overtakes my main chat screen that houses all chats. Which is what the issue is.
I do not have the option any longer to separate a call/ meeting from the main chat screen that houses all chats. I have between 20-40 chats going at any given time, if I were to have them all pop out, I would have 20-40 teams windows open and that is excessive in my opinion.
Previously if I had a call or meeting, a completely separate window would open with that call/meeting, leaving the main chat screen that houses all open chats separate.

At this point, I am assuming this feature has been taken away? A handful of people at my company still have the "old version". When they have calls/meetings, a completely new window opens, they can see all participants in a meeting if someone is screen sharing. They don't have to worry about popping out 100 chats in order to still see a meeting.

I even went as far as having my internal IT remove teams all together and reinstall it to ensure there wasn't an issue on my end. I have read countless forums visited many sites trying to find a way around this but there seems to be no way around it.

I sincerely appreciate your time in trying to help me figure this out. But I am accepting this is my fate lol

@9akelly 

Thanks for that. Why not try the snap windows function. Shrink the windows (Teams App Window and Meeting Window) and drag them to the corners of the screens. Like this.

ChristopherHoard_0-1659468556825.pngChristopherHoard_1-1659468569500.jpeg

Otherwise, your case that you need to work on chat at the same time as watch and engage in meetings would necessitate a dual monitor setup. Use Teams app on one monitor and engage in the meeting in another

Best, Chris

Hello! We have some users having the same issue as this. It is really weird as we are on the same versions etc, but struggling to understand why some can do it and some can't?

I assume you have no further update on this? It is very annoying ha! It makes no sense!
Hello! Yes, we also have some that have the original way.
Its extremely frustrating and job hindering.
No updates. I feel like I am in a twilight zone lol Some extremely nice people have tried to help but a lot of the settings they have, us with the new way don't have those settings.
I will let you know if we manage to get to the bottom of it!

@9akelly Could this be a very old version of the Teams desktop client, if you go to About ... Version does it start 1.5 ....

Is it being used via a VDI solution like Citrix, VMWare Horizon etc. ?

@Steven Collier 

This is the version I have. 

I'm sorry, I'm not sure about your second question lol

Hi everyone,

I am having this exact same issue.  The pop-out option WAS working on both of my devices at one point about a month ago, but then one of the devices (the one I normally use for video conferencing) stopped letting me do it.  It is greyed-out, and if I hover over it I get the message "This isn't available on your device."  I have tried everything suggested here (and then some) all to no avail.

Interestingly, on my other device I still have this option, but that is not the device I use for video conferencing because of how my workspace is setup.  The working device's Teams also shows a slightly OLDER version number (1.5.00.28361) compared to the device where it isn't working (1.5.00.28567)

Another possibility I considered is that the device where it does work is running Windows Enterprise and is managed by the organization, while the device where it doesn't is running Windows Home and is a personal device.  (NOTE: Both Teams instances are signed into the same AD account, although the personal device's Windows login is a local account).  I'm confused as to why this should matter though.  If anything I'd think the organization-managed device would have more restrictions for experimental/public-preview features.  Is it possible this feature is only available on systems running Enterprise with Office 365 subscription, etc???

UPDATE!

I figured out a work-around.  I have to use an older version of Teams, specifically version 1.5.00.8070 from April 2022.  Older versions are available on uptodown.com:

https://microsoft-teams.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/4594768

I tried several newer versions as well, but that was the most recent version in which the pop-out screen-shared content works for me.

The main trick now will be to prevent Teams from auto-updating because apparently there is no in-built way to disable auto-updates.  Based on my readings of how the updates are fetched, it might be possible to do this with a static DNS host entry for statics.teams.microsoft.com in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file, which points to a dummy address that will not respond (e.g. 127.0.0.1).  Possibly also restricting write and/or execute permissions to the directory where updates are downloaded to...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-community-blog/overview-of-teams-desktop-clie...

Another update, re: preventing auto-updates:

It seems that the static DNS host entry for statics.teams.microsoft.com didn't prevent auto-update. There must be a secondary url it is using, or maybe the ip address (or an outside DNS server) is hardcoded... dunno.

However, if I restricted permissions to the folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\packages , to only read and list folder contents for all profiles, it prevented updates from being installed. (Note that if you only allow 'list folder contents' Teams wouldn't start. You have to allow 'read')

@wicheesemaker

Pop out meeting is working in previous version (1.5.00.28361).

I tried to update to the newest version (1.5.00.31168) and it has the the same problem - pop out is available only for presonal chats, but not for meetings or chat of the team