Cannot message external users on desktop but can on phone

Copper Contributor

My friend uses skype for business and teams at her work, and my company already upgraded to teams and set our org to teams only mode.  When I message her it goes to her skype even though she has teams installed on her PC.  When I open her teams chat from my PC I see this message "Due to org policy changes, some chat and calling features are no longer available. Continue your conversation here."  I click on the message and it takes me to a new chat with skype icon. 

The crazy part is from my android phone I message her from Teams app and it goes to her Teams client on her PC just fine.  

Her company gave her a new PC a few months ago, and she no longer has skype installed.  I cannot message her from my PC anymore, unless she messages me first and then I can message her back but I cannot start the conversation (so weird).  Also it still shows the skype icon next to her chats even though she is using teams.  Messaging from phone still works fine.  I figured this was because she had  island mode set, but she didn't want to ask the IT department.  We have been waiting for Skype for Business to go EOL to see if that would help but so far it hasn't.  Any other ideas?  is there a way to clear Teams chat cache so I can close her chat and re-add it?

1 Reply
Hm! External chat (federation) is always going to Skype unless the recipient is on Teams Only. Why it works on the phone I don’t know! By initiating a chat on Teams from her side creates a session on Teams but will time out eventually and your reply will go back to route via Skype..since now Skype Online also is deprecated I presume she on Skype On premises. If she’s not using Skype at all anymore ( homed in Skype on-prem) it should work. Can you ask her to log out and back into Teams and you do the same. Then try again