SOLVED

Cannot log in to Teams

Copper Contributor

I am finding Microsoft Teams the most frustrating and user unfriendly program I have eve had to use.

I cannot log in at all - am stuck in endless loops of phone codes, non-recognition of accounts, etc. 

I have two accounts - a personal one (which I cannot log into at all - it keeps sending me phone codes, saying that these codes do not work, and then telling me I have requested too many codes) and I have also been trying to set up a work one (teams seems to be stuck on my personal account at the login page - I keep clicking on "sign in with a different account" but it doesn't do anything just takes my back to the login with the personal account email already filled in - on the one occasion where I did manage to try to sign in with this account on another laptop, it then told me I didn't have an account and needed to register, despite having apparently successfully done this and received an email. It then did the thing with the repeated codes).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Teams, clearing keychains etc. I have no idea what to do. I don’t think that I can even delete the personal account as I cannot login.

2 Replies

Hello @AndiB796  I'm going to see if one of our MVPs (experts) can help you.  You can also go to answers.microsoft.com for personalized tech support.

@ChristianJBergstrom, can you provide guidance here?  thank you

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ThereseSolimeno @AndiB796 Hello, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. It shouldn't be like that, but I'm afraid it's not that uncommon when using the desktop app with multiple credentials. I can only give some pointers as what to do here and hopefully they will help you out of the mess. To start with you should go online https://teams.microsoft.com with InPrivate / Incognito browser sessions to avoid your credentials being mixed. When it comes to the codes all you can do it wait really so try to do that, could perhaps be for 24 hours or something.

As I understand you have already reinstalled and removed cache etc. so not going to suggest that. But you probably haven't tried the following reset script (I actually use it myself from time to time) so follow the link, copy the script and paste in PowerShell on your computer and hit enter. That way you can start fresh with the desktop app.

PowerShell script sample - Reset the autostart setting in Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ThereseSolimeno @AndiB796 Hello, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. It shouldn't be like that, but I'm afraid it's not that uncommon when using the desktop app with multiple credentials. I can only give some pointers as what to do here and hopefully they will help you out of the mess. To start with you should go online https://teams.microsoft.com with InPrivate / Incognito browser sessions to avoid your credentials being mixed. When it comes to the codes all you can do it wait really so try to do that, could perhaps be for 24 hours or something.

As I understand you have already reinstalled and removed cache etc. so not going to suggest that. But you probably haven't tried the following reset script (I actually use it myself from time to time) so follow the link, copy the script and paste in PowerShell on your computer and hit enter. That way you can start fresh with the desktop app.

PowerShell script sample - Reset the autostart setting in Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

View solution in original post