Cannot add external user to videocall once in call, show participants doesn't find them

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am struggling to find the answer to this, and I am sure it is simple. We are running Exchange on premises (no hybrid setup as yet) and using teams for basic video conferencing capabilities. We have office 365 and are syncing the AD to Azure. We are able to go to chat in teams and search externally for people and then initate a 1:1 video call etc. However, when in a video call with someone, we cannot add an external person when clicking show participants, it never find the person when entering their full email address. The search externally option never comes up.

I am fairly new to teams so there is probably a limitation somewhere that I have missed. 

any help would be gratefully appreciated

thanks

Paul

2 Replies

Hi @paulow1978 - this is also a limitation with just chat as well - the inability to add an external guest to a group conversation. If you want to have them in a call, you'll want to send a proper Teams meeting invite to them.

thankyou! I could not find any mention of this in the Microsoft documentation.

We have a weird issue as well, where you can click "calls" in the side bar of teams, then go to make a call, add in as many people in your org as you want but as soon as you add one external user you can no longer add anyone else. Presumably another Microsoft limitation!!! :)