SOLVED

can't find option for full screen after update

Iron Contributor

The most recent update to teams moved the controls to the top but seems to have removed the ability to show the meeting in full screen. We do a lot of code sharing and depend on the ability stretch to full screen to make the code easier to read.

149 Replies

@Jake Mackey 

Old news.  I have been posting these exact same instructions for a few weeks now.  I had discovered this on my own as I knew we had this option before and the only difference was the 'New experience option'.  I consider it more of a workaround solution as you lose some of the newer features in 'New experience' but as I mostly don't use those newer featurest in most cases it doesn't matter to me.  Other people who have tried out my instructions feel the True Full Screen is more important or at least for certain functions they want to use.

@Steven Collier 

"Focus" is *NOT* the same thing, effectively or otherwise, as FullScreen mode.  When someone is sharing their laptop screen, and we all have the same laptops, "Focus" has to distort and crumple the pixels to get it to fit in the smaller area due to the sacrificed and useless horizontal bar throwing away screen real-estate.  Small text is illegible.  Sure you can zoom in and then slide your view of the screen around like on a Ouija board -- that's productive.  Not.

I disabled "New Meeting Experience" but something keeps turning it back on.  How do I kill "New Meeting Experience" for good (or at least until Teams supports *real* full screen)?

Thanks,

David

@DavidGoebel 

Teams has a habit of changing options sometimes when updates occurs but from your wording it sounds like the next time you use Teams, every time, you get into Teams you are finding the 'New Experience' option selected again.  I suspect this might be because you may be failing to quit Teams and relaunch it including Signing Back into Teams again.  Quitting Teams should cause a Sign Out but you need to make sure you have signed out of Teams and it is not running.  Relaunching Teams and signing back in should then make the 'New Experience' option change take effect.  Changing the 'New experience' Option does not take effect until you have Restarted Teams.  Failure to Restart Teams will not make this Option change take effect.  Of course, if you Restart Windows, this will also cause Teams to Restart as well. So, this might be your problem if you are not Restarting.

Fullscreen feature is a must to have a feature, and its really unbelievable for me, that a great tech company like MS, is not giving priority to this feature.

Because of it, I (and many my colleagues also, I believe) no longer use MS Teams, but use Zoom instead. Now, I understand, it is possible to use FullScreen by changing setting, so I do have a workaround, but not everyone would probably be aware of it. MS Teams is definitely a great collaboration tool, and I hope, we would see this fullscreen feature soon in Teams.

@spokhriyal

You should look at what you believe the Full Screen workaround is.  I thought I had found how to do Full Screen myself and then found out when an actual meeting was established, it wasn't really Full Screen.

And.... now Microsoft has _removed_ the option to opt out of New Meeting Experience, while still not creating true full-screen. Way to go Microsoft. True user-friendlyness. /s

For those who argue, that Fullscreen in the previous UI wasn't true fullscreen: You are wrong. Look at this video from Jeremy Chapman, Director at Microsoft 365. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_C4N4mukqU

@foolingcomputers 

I'm still not sure that was true what your link said but in any event you can't do what the link says to do because Microsoft removed the option to stop using the New Experience.

Secondly I not only want True Full Screen in Shared Screen Mode but I want it when not sharing a Screen.  I want to be able to get to to a True Full Screen when just on a Conference Meeting with just 2 or more participants or just on a Microsoft Teams Video Call.  It is ridiculous that Microsoft doesn't give us this facility when Skype (now a Microsoft Product) did it and other Video Conferencing Applications do True Full Screen.

@Jim_B175 I couldn't agree more. :)

In meeting full screen experience is fine. But when we call any individual, I mean when two people working with shared screen, full screen option itself is not coming. That was a good to have feature that is removed in recent version . Though "focus" works, that is not full screen..

Not true, there was an option to do this ONCE. It has now GONE.

Please fix this as is can not read to reduced font text.
Full screen resolution of a shared screen seems like a very basic feature to lose. Teams just needs a few tweaks like this to be a great tool for software companies which need to be able to collaborate on complex code and text. Let's have it back please!

@robplatt 

Most people seem to be asking for Full Screen on shared screens.  I agree you need it there but a True Full Screen is also important for use just on an actual conference call without shared screen such as a one on one video call (2 participants only).

Microsoft needs to implement a True Full Screen on all selections of Full Screen not just for Shared Screens.

I would really love to read a statement from some MS Teams product manager. Since my daughter is using Teams for home schooling right now and clearly needs other features than I do, I could live with an explanation like: "The target audience is so diverse and no one except devs seems to require the true full screen feature, besides during corona, Teams adoption by non-devs exploded and we're busy implementing features for all sorts of use-cases..... maybe later we're coming back to you guys." So far nothing? Maybe I missed it here, since I'm not checking on a daily basis. I'm a little sad, because after years and years of seeing Microsoft missing the whole point e.g. of automation, and Linux taking over, I'm seeing that with VS Code for example, there seem to be really cool dev teams at MS. And I thought so too about the Teams team for a while. Now I'm disappointed.
@cjmarques
I'm not even sure your daughter is using Microsoft Teams meaning when you install Microsoft Teams for Home and Personal use you don't get what you see advertised on Television. Instead you get directed to install Skype. But I'm not sure about your daughter because it's not clear what level of Teams she is using.

As far as I can tell Microsoft Teams looks like it might not have had it all along though it is not quite clear as if you try to host a meeting what you see looks like it's True Full Screen but when you get other Participants then you see it is not True Full Screen. So many of the people I've seen on this Forum seem to only be concerned about True Full Screen for Shared Screen functionality. I agree it is needed there but it needs to be done for just one on one video calls as well. Some years ago Skype did this and Skype had a True Full Screen but now even Skype doesn't have True Full Screen.

Microsoft I believe ever since top management changed has been taking away features in their applications that people had grown to like and want to continue with and not just in Microsoft Teams. Microsoft seems to think it knows what people should want despite all the people telling Microsoft what they want and Microsoft just seems to ignore them or try as they are doing with Microsoft Teams tell us that they gave us Full Screen because there is an option for it on their menus when we can clearly see you aren't getting a True Full Screen despite what Microsoft claims. Microsoft is telling us also how great Cloud Computing is such as Microsoft 365. I really am beginning to hate it because it doesn't work as well as non-Cloud applications. There is sometimes a tremendous lag in response time especially for Home Users of the system because not only is there the time it takes to transfer the data to the Cloud for processing and back down again but Home Consumer Level users have asymmetrical bandwidth. For Cloud Computing we need symmetrical Bandwidth. Asymmetrical Bandwidth causes the transmission speed to be slower in one direction than the other. So, in my opinion, Cloud Computing is more suited to the business world rather than the Consumer world because Consumers tend to have asymmetrical bandwidth whereas it's Businesses which may have the symmetrical bandwidth.

And trust me as far as your comments about Linux, I wouldn't want Linux products because Linux is not what most companies and people use. Windows is the major Operating System which is used worldwide. Most people users in businesses aren't familiar with Linux. Most people on the other hand do know Windows.
repost from Oct. 09 2020:
month later (additionally + 6 long month ) and no solution (in new experience mode, which is now mandatory with the last update) for paying companies. that is not good.
Thanks for the reply! Well, my daughter is using the exact same Teams I use except she has an additional function for getting and returning homework exercises. I see you feel upset about your and other users' needs being ignored by MS here. I am just sad because I just saw Microsoft getting on-track again (as I said, indicated by VS Code and initially by Teams as well). Probably MS is so data-driven now that human input is just too complicated and expensive to assess. Besides, even a human can't really guess from this thread's heading "can't find option..." that it's actually a feature request. Maybe start a new thread for that matter?

Regarding Linux/Windows: I partly agree. Most people do use Windows and I don't want to blame anyone for doing so. But the main use-case for Windows is manual work (like with MS Office). And as far as this manual work isn't tremendously creative (like arts, software development, ...) it's probably gonna be automated soon. Because when "digitalization" is "done" no company can afford to pay employees for following processes involving clicking, dragging, dropping and writing emails back and forth anymore.

Cloud? Well, the way it's done with Office it's probably just a lot better for MS (usage data, licensing, ...), but not necessarily for the user. Though, I don't suffer too much because I have enough bandwidth and I'm not an Office power user. As a developer I'm very happy with back-to-simple approaches like etherpad or excalidraw for instant collaboration on creative tasks.

@henningcbosch 

Microsoft is so far off track as many people are complaining about the functionality of products such as Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365).  With just me alone, I've noticed what might be considered a minor feature in Microsoft 365 no longer exists on the To Do Pane where it was very useful.  The To Do pane Calendar in Office 2010 Outlook would have your Appointment/Event Dates Bolded so you could tell at a glance what dates had Appointment/Events where you had something to do.  In later versions and in Microsoft 365 Outlook the bolding of the Appointment/Event Dates no longer shows on the To Do Pane Calendar but only when you select the Calendar function will you see it on the Calendar showing on that Function.

As far as Teams goes and your assessment that you can't tell this is a feature request or not.  There are many people throughout this Forum Thread who are clamoring for Microsoft to fix this feature.  Microsoft has claimed it is fixing this feature or adding it.  Well guess what when they added it wasn't Full Screen and people still clamored for Microsoft to fix something Microsoft claimed was not working or an added feature.  I believe I even made a feature request for it where it was indicated to make such requests.  Microsoft is either ignoring the requests for Full Screen or they don't want to implement this feature.  Microsoft can't seem to understand when you take up screen space with Control Buttons that appear permanently on the screen you don't have Full Screen.  The user picture is an exception I would make I don't know about others.

As far as Windows being a manual usage platform. I automate tasks wherever it is reasonable.  I schedule Backups to run I don't do manual execution of Backups as some people do apparently because they don't know how to automate that.  Also Linux has the reputation of not having robust security which is a must for businesses.  By the way most Businesses, especially large corporations, all use Windows primarily.  You find the executives sometimes using Apple because the Executives apparently don't have the skill set to use Windows like their lesser employees have or they just used Apple products with the mistaken notion that Apple was superior to Windows and now they don't want to learn Windows despite the fact that Windows has a greater inventory of applications than Apple has.  Also the world does a lot of its communications these days through email which is a manual process, so how would you automate a user generating an email.  Possibly with Voice Recognition which is available on Windows Applications.  But oh, there's a manual effort in launching the application.  But oh, again Windows has voice recognition these days (though not perfectly implemented yet in my opinion).

But for Microsoft's migration of Office to the Cloud, I suspect the reason is more motivated by Microsoft's greed.  Microsoft can make more Revenue with subscription based applications than it can with selling a perpetual license application such as Microsoft Office 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.  I got Microsoft Office 2010 in 2010 and was using it until just recently in 2020.  I had no need to upgrade to anything else.  With Microsoft 365 and other subscription applications,  Microsoft has a steady revenue stream each month which it didn't have before.  And with Cloud computing in Outlook 365, I notice that the process of opening a picture Attachment can take several seconds where as in a non-Cloud Computing application which is completely running on your local computer, the opening of a picture Application takes no time at all compared to the Cloud Application function.  The first thing I noticed when I migrated to Microsoft 365 was that the cursor would seem to float across the screen instead of the way it used to move incrementally (for lack of a better word) and sometimes the cursor wouldn't move at all for several seconds.  This was obviously because all the cursor commands such as when you type a character have to travel up to the Cloud Server and back down to the Client which can take time causing a lag or possibly the term might be latency effect.  To do Cloud Computing in my opinion users need symmetrical bandwidth not asymmetrical bandwidth (Upload/Download Bandwidth must be the same and fast enough to prevent such lagging).  Most consumer/home users do not have symmetrical bandwidth.  Additionally Outlook has not upgraded its Security Support to using TLSv1.3 and still is using TLSv1.2 Security.  I haven't heard of any plans to upgrade soon to TLSv1.3 which is the current level of TLS Security.  Outlook apparently doesn't support, the last time I hear, two factor authentication or whatever GMail uses and you have to downgrade your GMail Email Account Security so applications such as Outlook will be able to connect tot he GMail Servers.

Microsoft also does everything it can to force its users to use Microsoft Accounts even when you don't have to use a Microsoft Account.  Windows would make you think you had to create a Microsoft Account in order to create a Windows User Account because it misleads you in the User Interface into thinking you have to.  Also, Microsoft can't even keep its Microsoft Accounts functioning properly.  They are always becoming disconnected even though you haven't signed out of them.  Window keeps asking you to enter your password again.   I'm using a shared Microsoft 365 application and it keeps asking me to fix my Microsoft Account by entering my password for the person who I am using the shared application from.  By rights I am not supposed to know the password of the person who is sharing their subscription with me.

So I would differ with your assessment that Microsoft was getting back on-track again.  I am a long time user of Microsoft Products and I see a decline.

@harsha275 

Hello, trying to use your orientation

"Please go to - Profile -> Settings -> General -> Under Application -> Disable [Turn ON new meeting experience] -> Restart Teams. "

But as I am not so experienced user, can you help me telling where do I find "Profile"?, in excel? Which menu or Sub-menu?

Thanks

Eric

@Eric_Delisle 

Sorry that option to disable was recently removed. The Option doesn't even appear as it used to.  Now all you have is the New Meeting Experience which isn't even identified by an Option.

I just learned that you can use MS Teams from the WEB BROWSER!!!!

Meaning you can do all the CSS hacks you want.

On top of that, BROWSER TEAMS HAS FULLSCREEN AS YOU WOULD EXPECT!!!!!

To remove the controls, click on the presentation content, and then the controls will disappear!

Why using the browser (teams.office.com) isn't the "answer" until MS fixes their alpha/beta grade EXE release, is quite strange. But hey, I finally figured out /something/ that feels like a better experience.