Can't edit Word documents in Teams anymore

Copper Contributor

Before today, our users could edit Word documents within Teams. Today we are getting reports that some users no longer can edit Word documents within Teams. Excel and PowerPoint documents do show the editing toolbar, it is only Word documents.

4 Replies

My organization is also having this problem today. It is across all Teams. We are a school that uses office365 so the students don't have the option to open Word on their desktops. We need a solution fast as this is our platform for distance learning and my help desk is overwhelmed with this issue.

It seems a common issue those days due to the intensive use of Teams

@pdunnDD2 

Try using the Open in SharePoint button on the tool bar in the task bar and opening the files from there. Not saying it will work but something to try. Not a fix, just a work around whilst Microsoft ramp up the infrastructure to cope with the demand. 

@Andrew Hodges 

Thanks for the reply and help. I have already shared that as a workaround as well.

I don't think the problem is with infrastructure though as some users can still edit Word documents in Teams and all Excel and PowerPoints are still editable.

I could edit Word documents in Teams. Then I had Teams check for updates in their menu, I had a pop up saying "Teams needs to close to finish the updates" or similar. After that, I could no longer edit Word documents in Teams.

Thanks again for your help!