SOLVED

Can't create Teams meeting for other user

Brass Contributor

Hello.

I have one user that is unable to create Teams meetings for another user in Outlook.  They have full access to the other mailbox (they are both hosted on-premise with Exchange 2016) and can schedule regular meetings, just not Teams.  It shows the following message:

Sorry, but we cannot connect to the server right now.  Please try again later.

The error message is useless as it doesn't say which server it is trying to connect to.  I have checked our OWA and ECP, everything functions perfectly.  Has anyone else seen this before and fixed it?

Thanks.

13 Replies

@ChristianBergstrom thanks for the reply.

Yes, as far as I can tell everything required is setup.  We have been using Teams happily for some time but I think this is the first time we have experienced this issue with 

For info, we have Exchange 2016 CU17 hosted on-prem and no mailboxes in the cloud, they are all on-prem.  The hybrid setup has been in place for some time.

@Dai_Webb So only for one user? In that case I would focus on the client (new .ost / new profile etc.) Perhaps another member has seen this before and will reply.

@ChristianBergstrom 

Sorry for the late reply.  No, it seems to be all users - I've just tried it with a few more people and they all get the same message.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Dai_Webb Hi! Then I would walk through this step-by-step https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/exchange-teams-interact#requirements-to-create-and-v...

Note the "To enable calendar delegation for these users" section as well.

@ChristianBergstrom great suggestion, I've got further now, thank you (it was the step 2-3 part - I didn't do this previously as we don't use Skype for Business).  Now I get this error, which appears to be permissions related, but the user has full access to the recipient's calendar:

Dai_Webb_0-1600801801839.png

Any idea how I get past this one ?

Thanks in advance.

@Dai_Webb Hello! Well done. I believe you could be missing the -SharingPermissionFlags "Delegate" but I'm not sure if you can use this as it's EXO only.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-mailboxfolderpermission?view=exchang...

But delegate can be set from within the Outlook client using "Delegate Access". Try them both and let me know? Thanks.

@ChristianBergstrom you're right, the SharingPermissionFlags parameter doesn't exist on-prem.

I've tried delegating permissions through Outlook (logged into Windows and Outlook as the user sharing the calendar) but that hasn't helped, it still gives the same permissions error.

@Dai_Webb Thanks for the update. I noticed the error message is described here, so please verify the settings one more time.

'Issue 1: A delegate can not schedule a Teams meeting on behalf of a delegator'

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/known-issues/teams-exchange-interaction...

If it still doesn't work I suggest you open up a support ticket with Microsoft.

@Dai_Webb 

Was able to repro this issue in our environment.

Seems like assigning -AccessRights FullAccess causes the issue

When this was removed and we left only delegate rights for calendar it works.

For our environment we tested in the following scenario:

- both user A and B (delegate and delegator) were o365 users

- both were on Office Pro Plus using Outlook 2016

Users didn't complain about this previously because we've only recently introduced Teams into our environment (we still have Skype but it is being phased out) And as another person in this forum mentioned, Skype meeting and regular meetings are not impacted.

To get this working:

• User A must give User B calendar delegate permissions in Outlook
  • ensure that -AccessRights FullAccess has NOT been applied
  • When User B adds the calendar in Outlook it needs to be done through: File > Open & Export > Other User’s Folder

Note:  some of our users - we have EA's that not only manage calendars for their executives - also need access to their Inbox and want it to appear in Outlook beneath their own mailbox. So for these users we ensured that 'Inbox' permissions were also delegated. Then User B went into Outlook to add the mailbox through: File > Account Settings > Account Settings > New   ....when prompted select 'Office 365'

This is the solution:

Teams meeting in Shared Mailboxes does not work with Automaping Shared Mailboxes.
Shared mailbox has to be added to Outlook manually as an additional account for it to work.

Remove the shared mailbox access in EAC, via Powershell assign full access permissions with automaping off

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "SharedMailbox" -User "Username" -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType all -AutoMapping $false 

Add the shared mailbox to Outlook manually.

Best regards,

Marco Francisco

This is the solution:

Teams meeting in Shared Mailboxes does not work with Automaping Shared Mailboxes.
Shared mailbox has to be added to Outlook manually as an additional account for it to work.

Remove the shared mailbox access in EAC, via Powershell assign full access permissions with automaping off

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "SharedMailbox" -User "Username" -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType all -AutoMapping $false 

Add the shared mailbox to Outlook manually.

Best regards,

Marco Francisco

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Dai_Webb Hi! Then I would walk through this step-by-step https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/exchange-teams-interact#requirements-to-create-and-v...

Note the "To enable calendar delegation for these users" section as well.

View solution in original post