SOLVED

Can't change Microsoft Teams Profile Picture (Receiving Error)

Copper Contributor

Hello! I'm having a bug with Profile Pictures.

I've tried changing it many times, but I receive an error every time.

What makes this stranger is I have never set a profile picture in Teams but somehow Teams imported an old profile Picture from my Xbox Account - And won't let me change it.

I've tried to change my profile picture in Teams on Windows and Android.

Windows gives this error: "There was a problem saving the photo. Please try again"

Android gives this error: "Failed to update profile picture. Please try again"

So, what in want to know is:
1. Why Teams is not using my Microsoft Account profile picture.
2. Why Teams is using my Xbox 360 Profile Picture.

3. How do I fix this so Teams can use the profile picture I want it to.

Please find screenshots of errors & of my MS and Xbox accounts attached.

Additional: My wife is also having the exact same problem on her account.

20 Replies

Hi,

It looks like you are running Teams free edition. I don't have a solution for you but I can confirm that I have the same problem in my Teams free tenant. 

Same problem on my tenant.

I doubt that it is because they are rolling out new policy to prevent upload of profile picture (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=63389), but for Teams Free there is no option to modify the policy.
I'm seeing that link has something to do with outlook?

My Microsoft account doesn't use outlook at all. As I sign in to Microsoft with my @potholestudios.com account which is a legacy Gsuite email address.

I don't think that's affecting it as my wife is having the same profile picture issue with her @hotmail.com account.

@DazzaJay 

Potentially you have multiple email addresses tied to your MS account.  Do you know what email account your xbox was opened under?  It might be the same as your Teams account.  This happened to me with my Skype account which somehow had an old email address I used for a non-profit at one time.  When I did some digging, I found that that email was tied to my Skype account which was all tied to my Microsoft Account so when I tried to log into new services with what I thought was my hotmail that was used for everything, it was looking for this other-never-really-used email.  When I deleted that bad email and added the hotmail to my skype account and made my microsoft account have only my hotmail tied to everything, I was able to sign-up for new services with my MSA and it all worked again.  Maybe?  Let me know if that isn't it and I can do some digging over here.

My Microsoft account, Teams account and Xbox account all use the exact same email address (@potholestudios.com)
And it's the only email address on my account. (See screenshots - ignore the map on the right, I was driving home and stopped the car to take these screenshots and reply)

@Laurie Pottmeyer I think it is related to the change to follow the Exchange policy for profile picture changes. But the problem is that Teams free users do not have the ability to change this policy, since they don't have one.

I've seen a couple of questions about this from multiple Teams free users this last week, all with the same problem that they can't change their profile picture and I have the same problem in my Teams free organisation.

Since the problem is in Team free and there is no support for them can you check internally if this is a problem that can be fixed? At least we will get fewer new threads about this error (I guess people didn't see your tweet about not searching first).

Do you know if there is a work around yet?  We are using TEAMS at work and it suddenly stopped letting me change my picture.  Thanks. 

@Linus Cansby 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@driggs63 If you are using the payed version of Teams and can't change your profile image it is probably your admin that configured a policy to prevent this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=63389

I can't change even without xbox and I can't get out of the picture thingScreenshot 2020-12-10 at 8.50.00 AM.pngSee Microsoft do Something about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure I don't have the payed version of Teams,but I could if you can show me it.

@Clement_Bouteiller  I can't find out why error 404 is happening here my proofScreenshot 2020-12-15 at 1.02.38 PM.png

@Clement_Bouteiller  nothing works for me even when no one is on Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 9.04.43 PM.pngMabey cause I have a crombook.

Has only found a solution to this? Tried different browsers, teams app, iOS, etc. They cannot update their photo. I do not see a policy setting to block this under the Teams Admin Portal.

@Jeff Harlow i am baffled...it is 2021 and you cant change your profile picture unless you pay? can't imagine a more sad state of a "community" or any service. I think M$ has given up just like labeling Chrome to be their EDGE browser or the upcoming WINXBL which is Linux with bloat.

Maybe, I missed something in this thread, but we are using Teams as part of our E5 subscription, so hardly a free application for our business. No other user is experiencing this issue.

@Jeff Harlowthe underlying seems the same: microsoft has no experience managing communities other than buying linkedin. it makes their already mediocre services even more dull. just like when everybody was using windows in the 90s and there werent any alternatives so people had to live with it.

I do not think it is in anyone benefit to make profile look dull no matter the competition.

We use jitsi most of the time anyways but somehow some old people still use it. schools in my area even banned the use of teams.

I'm having the same issue on my corporate paid account. I've never seen such a basic bug before on any other systems! Sort of baffles me... Please let me know if you find a solution!
Same issue. Corporate paid account but can't change the profile picture
Yes, very frustrating! However I think I found an easy fix. Would be curious to see if it works for you too: I actually tried to change my profile picture on the MS Teams version on my phone (I have an iPhone). And magically, it seems to have sorted the problem... Hope this helps! Please let me know if that solves the issue for you too. Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@driggs63 If you are using the payed version of Teams and can't change your profile image it is probably your admin that configured a policy to prevent this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=63389

View solution in original post