SOLVED

Can't add members to private channels

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

After creating a team and adding private channels, I can't add members to private channels consistently. Sometimes I can; sometimes I can't. Also having issues adding guests to teams.

95 Replies
On Android Teams when I open Channel - I have option "Manage members" and there I can add Guest users.
I'm having the exact same issue as Przemyslaw Lis. The lookup field can't find the match on my desktop or mobile app

Same issue here. Desktop client cannot add normal team member to private channel, iOS client can. The user was added to the team after the private channel was created. They are not a guest user, so the issue can impact anyone.

issue still exists ...

This issue is still unresolved...

Issue still exists.

Errors "Something went wrong" & "Please try again later". No actual meaningful error response to resolve this.

I have been experiencing this issue when adding new users to Office 365. I can add them to the Group for the Team in the Azure portal, they appear in the Team, but then do not appear to exist when trying to add them to private channels. These are members I'm adding with Office 365 F3 and E1 accounts. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

@Cathy_McK 

I notice that the entire list of responses date to early 2020. I am still having the same issue in October 2021. Will this bug ever be fixed?

@Christopher Hoard The mobile app is extremely well done and easy to use for this!

@Mark_Jordan January 2022 - and the bug is still not fixed.  Just created new team, added many new members and guests ... created a private channel.  Most of the members and guests added to the channel without problem, but a few were "could not find".   Used the android app, and added them to the team without issue.  

Come on Microsoft!  Fix your bugs.

@DevvzjeSame issue here, the member can be found but when adding it says 'Something went wrong'. Adding in the mobile app works.

@judithvansteen 

OMG I found the workaround to this a few years ago (see beginning of thread) and I can't believe that the workaround (adding to the mobile app) is still being used. I'll probably flag this to the engineering team as I am pretty shocked that this is still happening! :D

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard Thanks for sticking with this issue.
I am experiencing it today with 2 guest users in my tenant.
The mobile workaround is working but not really acceptable several years later.
Also, the uservoice link is broken (not your fault- ALL uservoice links are broken XD)

I have a real problem with the way Microsoft acknowledge and address bugs (they don't!). I guess there is no way for us as users to get any kind of acknowledgement from MS side? or even better, a fix???

@alexrademeyer 

No worries, Uservoice has shifted to feedback portal here and not all of them were carried over

Feedback · Community (microsoft.com)

and just doing a search they carried it over for me

Bug: Inconsistency in being able to add users to Private Channels via Web/Desktop Clients · Communit...

I'll chase up on the bug having been raised to engineering. Could be some time even after getting in from of them because they have a ton to deal with

Best, Chris

I am experiencing the same issue and able to give access after using workaround 2., i.e. removing and re-adding. I wanted to check on the status on the bug, but the link is no longer working. Has the bug been resolved and now re-occuring?
Sorry - the link is working now. I just up voted the issue.