SOLVED

Can't add members to private channels

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

After creating a team and adding private channels, I can't add members to private channels consistently. Sometimes I can; sometimes I can't. Also having issues adding guests to teams.

95 Replies

Hi, @Christopher Hoard, has the Teams team, be able to create a solution to this bug.  We are evaluating making a move from Slack to Teams.   The initial test went well, however, when we rolled out Teams to a larger group, things did not work well at all.

1. We can't add member to private channels

2. 60% of users had a very difficult time joining the Team software.

3. One people were in, it was nearly impossible to add new members to the Private Teams channels.

4. There are only two Roles.  Owner and Member.  There should be an admin role or a way to control more nuanced and granular permissions.

Personally, I haven't had any issues adding people to private channels after adding them to the Team the last week - however there hasn't been confirmation that this has been explicitly fixed.

1.) Use the mobile client as specified many times in this string, as a workaround
2.) Sorry to hear that, I would raise this in a different thread so we can try to help
3.) Again, use the mobile client as a workaround in the given situation
4.) More granular Teams roles are currently under review

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18606916-custom-team-member-ro...

Best, Chris

@Przemyslaw Lis  agree - is there a way to add them to main group but not allow them to access content in main channel only the private channel?

@Christopher Hoard  I'm having the same issue on the desktop. The member is a member of the Parent team also. It says it "can't find any matches" when trying to add the member.

@Christopher Hoard 

In My environment we have Guest access enabled, but My CEO can not add even internal members to the channel,the add button is missing, 

The actual Add button is missing

@Christopher Hoard  A user within my environment just had this issue crop up. I will have her use your mobile workaround from now on. Thank you.

I can confirm that we are also experiencing this bug. I was able to add the guests in using the mobile app, but Microsoft should definitely look to fix this! One of my colleagues flagged the issue and was completely stumped as to why it wasn't working for her and it was only because I found this thread that we worked out why. 

Makes it quite hard to for me to sell people on the ease and simplicity of MS Teams with silly bugs like this lying around undermining confidence.

I encountered the same issue, and was eventually able to add the user from the mobile app.

@Lori Brady How did you remove the guest members when you did this workaround?  Thanks!

@JLu_USE I removed them from the MS Teams desktop - Manage Team - Members tab.
Thank you!

@Christopher Hoard 

The mobile workaround seems to have one major disadvantage. Although I could manage to add TEAM members to a private channel with it these members did not show up for OTHER users in the same channel when they checked the members of the team. Consequently these other users could not TAG the new team members in the chat - which makes the channel highly inefficient.

As of now, I am still experiencing the same issue. Can't add members into channels. The feature does not show in drop down menu. Happened once before and it magically reappeared after few days. Seems to be a recurring bug. 

Really need to get this function up. Arrgh...

As of Nov. 4. 2020, this problem still exists. We can add members via Android app, but can't add members via web nor desktop interface.

This bug just had it's 1st birthday. Hooray!

@Andrew Silcock Your solution worked for me.  Removed the users with issues from the team and added them again. I was then able to add them to the private channel.  Thanks for the hint! 

@Cathy_McK @Christopher Hoard 

Hi, I read through all the suggestions made on this thread and there are still some guests that we are having problems adding to the Private Channel. Some discrepancies I have noticed:

- When adding to general, the system claims this member is already in the Team. When I further search for this said contact, they are not within the team

- Since I cannot re-add/remove these members, I cannot find the contact to add them on the private channel.

I have tried on web, on the platform, and on iOS device. 

Can you please suggest the remedy to this?

I am amazed that this is still a bug 1-year later. There have been so many updates this last year. 

We were able to add guests via the ios app, so it is good there is a work around, but still would be nice to have this bug fixed. 

@Cathy_McK - So it seems that Private channel owner may be trying to add the guest by complete address - user@domain.com. Can he try to add the guest by display name instead or by searching just searching partial display name ? I am seeing similar behavior in my test tenant where if the keyword is display name the search succeeds but fails for the full address.

@Premal Gandhi We had tried it that way too (using display name instead of email address) but we were not getting a populated list with the display name (nor with the email address) with the search. We were able to add them just fine using the email address on the ios app though. 

@rsauer - Sometimes the display name for guest is not populated properly in AAD. Did you search by display name as it shows when you look at the guest under Team members of the team where the Private channel is created ?